Model Cars Magazine Forum

Florida State Patrol Monaco

SFC_Allen

Just finished this one up, it went through 11 paint jobs until i just got tired of trying to make it just right. Still not truely satisfied with the paint but guess it will due and will serve as a learning process.

I should have pulled the wheels off to cut them down to fit better (the fronts stick out and the rear doesn't :( ), I had a hard time trying to get the chassis to even line up with the body. Anyone have pointers on that? I have about 3 more kits in the works and would love to have them all sitting the right way. Seems like there was no where to place it or rest it on when assembling it.

Decals are Pursuit. I do love these colors and wish i had more decals sets for FSP. VR Earle

FSPMonaco1.jpg

FSPMonaco2.jpg

I love those Monacos and Furys.

I bought one of the 77 Monacos that was on the Simon & Simon show years ago when I lived in LA, Ex-CHP car, 440, fun, fun.

I've built a ton of these cars and though it's been a while since I did my last one, a replica of my Dad's 77 unmarked 440 Fury when he was an LT at the Collier County Sheriffs Office in FL.

I use the chassis from the AMT Road Runner/GTX kits.

The Monaco interior tub will still fit and as I recall you only have to move the front unibody a hair back to make the wheelbases match exactly.

A Trooper lived down the street from my Gandparents and I remember his Monaco as well.

Funny seeing the old bubble-gum lights.

I've built replicas of my Patrol Cars too, a 1994 and a 2001 Crown Vic from when I was with the Indian River County Sheriffs Office in FL.

Nice work on your Monaco, I built a a Military police version and I used the wheels and tyres from a Hobby Heaven Ford police car but used the hubcaps from the Monaco.

As for your roof beacon, why not paint the outside in Tamiya clear blue using either a toothpick or very small brush. I always paint all my lights on the outside without any problems at all. Once again, good job and very clean.

Nice work on your Monaco, I built a a Military police version and I used the wheels and tyres from a Hobby Heaven Ford police car but used the hubcaps from the Monaco.

As for your roof beacon, why not paint the outside in Tamiya clear blue using either a toothpick or very small brush. I always paint all my lights on the outside without any problems at all. Once again, good job and very clean.

Thanks, I did paint the inside of the light. When I put it together it looked great, until the lamp was left on..

I need to find me a set of those wheels to try out..

Good looking build! Do you have any pics of the undercarriage and engine?

I'm working on what I assume is essentially the same kit but a different version. I was wondering if you had any difficulty with the fit of the rear bumper on yours. It seems that on my kit, the rear bumper is almost 2mm too wide at the point where it flares out before tapering down toward the bottom. If I push the lower portion of the rear fenders out to meet the widest point of the bumper, they end up being wider than the lower portion of the bumper as it narrows toward the bottom.

Is this something you encountered? If so, what, if anything did you do to correct it?

Thanks

David G.

Good looking build! Do you have any pics of the undercarriage and engine?

I'm working on what I assume is essentially the same kit but a different version. I was wondering if you had any difficulty with the fit of the rear bumper on yours. It seems that on my kit, the rear bumper is almost 2mm too wide at the point where it flares out before tapering down toward the bottom. If I push the lower portion of the rear fenders out to meet the widest point of the bumper, they end up being wider than the lower portion of the bumper as it narrows toward the bottom.

Is this something you encountered? If so, what, if anything did you do to correct it?

Thanks

David G.

David, I'll have to take a pic of the back. I didn't have a horrible time getting the bumper on but I did end up with a gap. My issue is the chassis to the body, I'll have to research that to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Earle,

I've found that the interior tub seems a bit too wide at the top and doesn't want to slide all the way up into the body. I've filed down the outside protrusions where the dash board mounts into the tub and a little bit of the top front edges where the tub meets the tops of the doors. It seems to have helped, but it's still not a great fit.

Maybe yours has similar issues that may be causing your chassis fit problems.

Thanks for your feedback.

David G.