Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you open paint jars?

Turn it upside down and drip a little lacquer thinner between the lid and the treads so it fills the area between. Give it a minute or so and don't let it dry. By the way the easiest way is to clean the top and threads throughly with thinner everytime after you open it. I now, it is more work that way, but it is easier than struggling with a jar that just won't open.

Some awesome ideas there.

I think I'll be purchasing a jar opener, way easier to get than firearms in Australia (sadly!) and I have spent way too much on dental to risk my teeth. In the meantime it's off to the sink for me.

I like the idea of opening jars with a pistol, reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer does that and turns out lights with it. Would be an interesting paint effect!

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and quick feedback.

I've found that a hammer works really well unless you actually want to use the contents. Lol

If I can't twist it off with a good set of pliers I tip it upside down in a shallow small dish and put just a few drops of thinner around the seal of the lid. Tends to work it's way in. Usually you just need more elbow grease on the pliers though.