Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71-'77 Dodge Van Shorty/109" Wheelbase

This project has been long overdue, so today the 1/25 MPC '74 127" wheelbase Tradesman van body went under the knife and was shortened 18 scale inches to make it a '71-'77 109" wheelbase "shorty". Both body sections are prepped and will be joined tomorrow, then the chassis will be shortened to match. Not sure if I'm going to bother shortening the interior tub at this time, or just add some ribs to the inside walls when I fill the porthole window openings. The front suspension is one molded in blob, so that will be removed, too, as I have more reference material and hands on experience with these vans that any person should. :lol:

*Warning- the image quality is poor*

Before:

127.jpg

After:

1091.jpg

A few comparison shots of the 127" w.b. versus the 109" w.b.:

1093.jpg

1092.jpg

MPC corrected the roof for the '74 "Truckin' USA" release, as shown on the left. The earlier '73 roof, shown on the right is incorrect. I wish they wouldn't have added the porthole window openings, either. :( Ah well, those are easy to plug.

I got the frame section and re-joined, and the gas tank was cut free, but I have yet to finish removing the floor sections between the framerails. I am going to attach the framerails to the underside of the interior tub, cut away the sidewalls of the tub, remove the engine cover/doghouse, and generally backdate this van to what it would've looked like stock.

109frame.jpg

Below you can see why I'm removing the kit-stock front suspension. Did I mention I don't like kits with solid metal axles? :angry::D

109frtsusp.jpg

The framerails are permanently joined, and I've started cutting away the molded in floorboard pieces and the framerail joint plates. I will correct the framerail shapes/unions, then add the four plates are a separate piece, as on the real vans. I'll add rocker panel extensions, extend the wheel houses, and come up with a plan for the engine bay since the hood will be opened soon. ;)

Here is the frame (which should be one with the floor, being a unibody vehicle) resting against the interior tub:

frame1.jpg

Nice! I'll be watching this one, Casey. One of the projects on my to-do list is my Dads old (and then my old) '76 Dodge. It went the opposite way, though, being a long wheelbase and also with the extended rear. My Dad owned a body shop all through my childhood, and it came to us wearing pee yellow house paint put on with a roller and neon blue 2 inch fur over the whole inside. lmao. When he got done with it, it was one of the first conversion vans in our neck of the woods...it's a must-do! :D

Casey,

Great job on this conversion! One of these days I would love to get my hands on one of the loooong wheelbase craftsman style window vans. When I joined my squad back in '79, we had a Dodge type ll van and two Cadillac ambulances! Problem is getting photos of them. At 16, I didn't think of doing that... :(

Very nice surgery so far. l love the shorty vans. There were SO many of these around in the '70s. To bad most are gone now. l'll keep in touch with this build, should be groovy! What year grille are you gonna use?

Probably the '71-'73 style, but I might go with the painted steel version.