Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose and Coddington are well known in the media...I suggest a new inspiration

Check out Troy T.......Rad Rods by Troy...cutting edge!

I find it hard to admire any of the ubber priced cars or the teams of people that build them. I really can't relate to any of them. Same goes for most of the magazines these days.

I grew up around guys that put their heart and souls into projects, on there own. I'm sure chip and Troy did the same, but it's gotten so far of the map, it's hard to fallow.

I find it hard to admire any of the ubber priced cars or the teams of people that build them. I really can't relate to any of them. Same goes for most of the magazines these days.

I grew up around guys that put their heart and souls into projects, on there own. I'm sure chip and Troy did the same, but it's gotten so far of the map, it's hard to fallow.

Why? No one says you have spend 250k to have a cool car, but they can provide ideas for someone's home-built car. Look at George Poteet's Torino buildup. It has headlights from a new Dodge Challenger (large diameter/flat on top). It also has an old mechanical fuel injection manifold. They cut off the injector bosses and repositioned them the inside for a smoother appearance. Both of these tricks can be done by "regular guys". A regular guy can buy a used Bridgeport mill and welder. A regular guy can pool resources/skills with friends and get some cool stuff done on their project. Don't think of those expensive rides as something unobtainable. Think of them as privately funded concept cars.

I remember "back in the day" when I was in high school, the factory cars were just coming out ('61-'65), the feeling was, "Those aren't hot rods. Anyone can go to a dealer and BUY a hot car. It takes someone special to build their own. By the way my first car was a Model A Ford, the next one was a '56 Chevy Belair No $tore bought cars here.

Why? No one says you have spend 250k to have a cool car, but they can provide ideas for someone's home-built car. Look at George Poteet's Torino buildup. It has headlights from a new Dodge Challenger (large diameter/flat on top). It also has an old mechanical fuel injection manifold. They cut off the injector bosses and repositioned them the inside for a smoother appearance. Both of these tricks can be done by "regular guys". A regular guy can buy a used Bridgeport mill and welder. A regular guy can pool resources/skills with friends and get some cool stuff done on their project. Don't think of those expensive rides as something unobtainable. Think of them as privately funded concept cars.

Nither of those tricks are new or original, my point was, not many but Poteet at going to drop the cash for a shop to build something like that. It's an incredible machine and a true work of art, but would you expect anything less from that place ? Not very inspatatianl to me. Go back a few years, and there was the guy who chopped up a Chrysler into a two door roadster, in his garage with his buds like you mentioned, that was cool and very inspirational..... Now ten years from now when he owns a shop with 30 people cranking those out left and right, not so much.

Your message is illogical: "it was expensive therefore it can't be cool".

If the Chrysler you're referring to is the Imperial Speedster, maybe Mr Pfaff should have had it built by someone else. That thing is just plain awkward. Might you be letting your love of Mopars and underdogs cloud your judgment on that one? BTW- Murray Pfaff has designed cars for Boyd and Troy, making him part of those megabuck build teams. Do you only like his designs when they are turned into metal by regular guys?

If the Chrysler you're referring to is the Imperial Speedster, maybe Mr Pfaff should have had it built by someone else. That thing is just plain awkward. Might you be letting your love of Mopars and underdogs cloud your judgment on that one? BTW- Murray Pfaff has designed cars for Boyd and Troy, making him part of those megabuck build teams. Do you only like his designs when they are turned into metal by regular guys?

No, I think you need to recheck the top of this topic, " insperational" .. Doesn't say anything about being cool, nor did I. And as far a my love for mopars, that's what I do for a living, for fun it's wedging the 429 into a 64 falcon sitting in my garage. I never said these guys wernt good or produce great product, and yes, I know he is a car designer, you don't do that kind of stuff off the top of your head, but he designed it and he built it didn't he? You actually kind of proved my point by bringing up the fact that Troy has someone else design some of his stuff, as do others. And once again there is nothing wrong with that, but it does not inspire me, that's all I was getting at.

What was the last car that Boyd built ? Not his shop, him self?

If I was looking for a business role model, he would be one of them, but as an artistic inspiration, he was out dated and to be honest, kind of a rude person to try and learn from.

Not everybody finds inspiration in the same things.. To each their own. It doesn't have to matter why someone finds something inspirational or uninspiring. It's a personal feeling, period.

Oh, ok. It can't "inspere" someone if done by someone other than the owner. Totally not the same as being cool...'cause, you know, it's not possible to be inspired by anything cool. :confused:

I have to apologize to the the original poster, I must have some kind of phantom text viruse.

I swear I used the words "I" and "me"

I had know idea my phone was speaking for everyone.

What I found inspiring were the design elements, google moal and aerocoupe, they put a dual supercharged Y-block in that '36 in addition to some design choices I found intriguing.

I don't care about the price tag that other people are paying to have their dream cars built, I like seeing how their dreams have been executed...and maybe I might borrow some ideas from some talented artists.