Model Cars Magazine Forum

If Cruz is showing old Impala build-ups,,,,,,,

Lyle Willits

IIRC, the first releases cowl was a bit too rounded............like a half moon shape. So the dash, and likewise the windshield were also the incorrect shape. It was also said that the height of the cowl to the rockers was a bit shallow-------that can be subjective as to me it seems okay. At least the roofline has the correct "kickup" at the base of the C pillars.......something that ERTL forgot when they did their '62 Bel Air bubbletop.

My problem with the kit now is the glass has too much optical distortion for my tastes.................no big deal, but if I were going to build it, I'd have to vacuform the front and rear glass as the one in my kit seems overly distorted.

I've always liked '61 Impala hardtops......they remind me of a wingless jet with those rear fenders!

Lyle, yours with the fender skirts really emphasizes that! :D

Nice "period" mild custom. My only hang up (and it is MY hangup, is that when I see turquoise, I automatically think 1950's ) I really love the subtle weathering under the hood. That is just the kind of detail that goes un-noticed but makes the over all model so memorable. Really a wonderful touch that we, as modelers who want everything "showroom perfect", tend to over look. P.S. Harry, you nailed it, That is the 61 Chevy combination that has been burned into my minds eye....triple red. Sweet!

My only Impala so far, built back when the kit first came out, to resemble my 1/1 first car.

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

My first car, a '65 327/300 Impala.

My65Chevy-1-1.jpg

I also have this '65 that I bid on and won at our annual club auction, donated and built by Terry Adams.

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

Hey Randy, that 65 looks nice in white with those tires and rims, are those the ones from MRC???