Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Shelby USRRC Cobra Update 5/23

torinobradley

Did Cobra CSX2128 have the air scoops underneath the grille opening?

The twin scoops below and on each side of the actual grill? The pictures show them to be there but I haven't figured out how to make them yet. I would love to find someone who offers them by themselves. I will have to see about contacting HRM about them. Also, I've seen them referred to as both brake scoops and a rudementry ventilation system for the footwells of the cockpit. On the 1:1s, you can see a black hose running from the top back of the front fender wells to a fitting attached to the top of the footwells and I assume this is where that scoop leads. That's a whole lot of scoop for a brake cooler hose. Does anyone know which one of these those scoops are for?

Thanks Bryan! I am pretty happy with the way it came out too. I thought for sure the detailing was so shallow I wasn't going to be able to do it but, there it is. I'm still following that V12 '30 build!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's slow going on this one. The more I do, the more I see, the more I add. It's a vicious cycle really...

Ive been working on the kit carbs for a bit. I shaved off the trumpets for some made out of tin-plated copper crimp ferrules. Drilled a bit of a throat for a little depth and then drilled a center hole for the little tube that goes in the center of that. I also drilled linkage holes, glued really thin pieces of wire in them and small pieces of insulation over the wire for spacers. I also drilled a small hole for the float level adjuster nut. Other than that, I don't think I am going to much further in accuratizing the carbs. The kit carbs are way off but with the mods I have done, they will look good and a bit more accurate. I can't wait to see the linkage all together! Here they are, bodies and trumpets waiting paint and assembly

DSC03236.jpg

I started making the brake and clutch resoviors and was making them from memory. Whoops...

DSC03240.jpg

As you can see, very innacurate and all I ended up with is some really nice single resovior master cylinders for another street rod build.

Here is the accurate ones. The real ones are fluid cans with clamp type brackets mounting them to the front of the driver's footwell. Here, you see the body, the hex fitting on the bottom of the can and the cap (yet to be cut down to size). Still got to build the brakets.

DSC03241.jpg

Now, the piece I'm pretty proud of. I created the gas pedal assembly from three pieces of plastic, one piece of wire insulation and the kit gas pedal. I created the basic shape then laminated a strip across the top, then cut and glued to a mounting plate. Then drilled the bottom for the thinned kit gas pedal. Finally, I drilled a hole in the top of the driver's footwell for the pedal to hang down from.

DSC03242.jpg

DSC03247.jpg

DSC03248.jpg

Now, some experementing with making the passenger vent hoses. The black one is plastic tube wrapped with wire with heat-shrink over it. Looks okay and is already black but lacks definition. The white one is something I read about somewhere. Same plastic tubing and wire wrapping but used teflon tape, the type used for plumbing connections to wrap it. The second pic shows it bent into a rough shape for the tubing.

DSC03249.jpg

DSC03250.jpg

As you can see from the last pic, I separated the fender skirts from the frame as well. That should help with the detail as well as I will most likely thin those too.

Thanks for looking and coments welcome!

Hi Andrew - I discovered your under construction Cobra after I finished mine and really like the detail stuff you are doing. I look forward to seeing your Cobra when completed.

I made the front brake scoops with Evergreen tubing split in half lengthwise and joined by similar thickness flat stock. I am currently working on the 56 Ford pick-up tow vechicle and trailer. I am using the Revell Roth truck which I have converted to a big back window and the trailer from the MPC 76 Chevy Caprice.

I went to Grant-O-Rama at Allen Grant's garage in Squim Washington and saw his close 1/1 replicas of the Coventry Motors Cobra and truck. Check out the photos at

http://public.fotki....rant-o-rama-07/

Thanks Philaupho! I ended up getting a pair from Historic Racing Miniatures for mine. I'm going to make the cutout mod to the drivers door thanks to you! I hadn't noticed that when researching this one. I've got a long way to go on mine. So much for an easy build... I'll check out your link for sure! I, too want to create the pickup. Have you done a WIP on it yet?

Thanks Shucky! I can't remember where I got those nuts/bolts from but it had to be over 20 years ago. I loved them because they are on that black rubber piece and had no tabs to deal with. I wish I could find more. Maybe Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland? The alternator fan is from an engine detail set from Detail Master. I would love to find someone that just sells a sheet of these fans as I could use that much more than a the rest of the set. Just did some research and it appears DET2510 has FOUR fans plus brackets and so forth. Looks like I found what I needed! The pulley is actually two little pieces out of a watch gear lot I found a few years ago (thanks to Cranky). I was looking at them and realized they looked very close to a deep groove racing pulley when put face to face and the hole is the right size for a small pin. I filed the head of the pin to appear like a bolt and voila! I think they came out very convincing but I'm a little partial...

Thanks again for the comments and of course, if anyone else has any questions about how I do things, don't hesitate to ask. I'll share.

Edited by torinobradley

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments. Progress has been slow as of late with the holidays and all. 250, If your asking about the jack points (the little downward facing hooks on the front and rear of the body in place of the bumpers), the Coventry car I am working on had them on the rear only. My plan was to use thin plastic or aluminum to create them from scratch. There is photo-etch items for the 427 Cobras that would work but I'm not willing to spend the $20-$30 for a set I might use 3 or 4 parts from. There are some nice ones in the Revell 427 kits but they face outward instead of inward. I'll get the pictures uploaded and post an update soon.

Excellent build and great craftsmanship !! I can't wait to see it finished. Where were you able to got the 2.5 Ferrels for the weber carb stacks ? I am currently working on six cobras, for a car hauler load.

Great work. Steve Prideaux

Thanks for the encouragement!

I was able to find the ferrules from an electronic supply store. A bag of 100 was going to cost me about $3 but they shipped fed-ex which would have been in the $15 range. I called them direct and worked something out. Depending on where you find them (if your looking), you might want to give that a try. One other thing I learned, those little guys are a pain to cut. Even though they are tin-plated copper and cut easily with an xacto, the blade tends to wander. I clamped a piece of plastic rod, the largest that would fit into the ferrule, into my desk vise and used a un-cut carb as a depth guage to cut them. Then used a digital micrometer, my finger and some fine sandpaper to get them all about the same height. I messed up twice as many as I made so it was good I got lots of them...

Are you going to do a build thread on your team and will they be FIA or USRRC?

Andy, Thank you, for the information on the carb tubes. I will try and find them. I am using the Monogram Cobra, three will be 427's and three will be 289's. I filled in the exhaust holes on the 289's and am using several different types of wheels. I am not sure if they will fit in any sanctioning body's rules. I had seen a picture of several early cobras on a car hauler, at a race track. That was my insperation. I am using the Ford cabover, with a sleeper and a modified AMT car hauler trailer. I am not very good at down loading pictures, for a build thread. Thank you again, for the information. Steve Prideaux

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew

I am realy impressed with your build so far. I recently completed CSX2026 which recorded the Cobra's first race victory (pictures are posted in Under Glass) but here is a sample. I am also working on CSX2142 which is the Shelby Teams' '63 Le Man entry (posted in On the Workbench). I found a great Cobra reference site you may want to check out www.csxinfo.net Based on what I have seen so far I don't think you need any of my help but if you have any questions maybe I can help. I have a fairly extensive Cobra library.

photo7-vi.jpgDSC08356vi-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

Thanks AFX! I've been watching your build and checked out your red one too. I've been itching to get back to mine but right now my life has too many other demands from me, so I am living vicarously through the other builds on this site, especailly the Cobras. I am just building mine in my head till I can get back to the bench. I almost bought the HRM Cobra kit for the AMT but it wasn't the direction I was taking with this one. I did, however, get a pair of the front brake scoops from him (thanks Harold!). I am curious about your oil cooler located on the fender skirt. Which cars had that modification? Originally, I was going to make the #98 black car with the yellow stripes but I was unable to secure another set of the kit decals (they were very thin according to the box art model). So, I found a place in New Zeland that creates decals for slot cars and they had the Executor. I also need to find the little red oil cap decals and a cobra vin plate, though I might try to make them. I was going to try to print the cobra vin plate on BMF and see how that worked out. Would look awesome if it worked.

Thanks AFX! I've been watching your build and checked out your red one too. I've been itching to get back to mine but right now my life has too many other demands from me, so I am living vicarously through the other builds on this site, especailly the Cobras. I am just building mine in my head till I can get back to the bench. I almost bought the HRM Cobra kit for the AMT but it wasn't the direction I was taking with this one. I did, however, get a pair of the front brake scoops from him (thanks Harold!). I am curious about your oil cooler located on the fender skirt. Which cars had that modification? Originally, I was going to make the #98 black car with the yellow stripes but I was unable to secure another set of the kit decals (they were very thin according to the box art model). So, I found a place in New Zeland that creates decals for slot cars and they had the Executor. I also need to find the little red oil cap decals and a cobra vin plate, though I might try to make them. I was going to try to print the cobra vin plate on BMF and see how that worked out. Would look awesome if it worked.

I'm not sure the oil cooler in the fender well is 100% accurate. Just a bit of intuition on my part. And since I am currently working on (3) Cobras I wanted to have some variation between them.

• 3 months later...

Okay, it's been more than a little while since I threw an update at you. Time to work on this car was in short, short supply the last few months but even so, I squirrelled away a few minutes here and there. These are the things I have more or less been working on. I saw a local contest in 2.5 months is going to be a Shelby tribute so I figured if this thing should debut at any show, that would be the one. This gives me motivation and a deadline, so maybe this one will be on the shelf soon...

I worked on creating a better looking radiator for her.

DSC03302_zps98ab8835.jpg

I started working with the doors. Previously I had thinned them more to scale, now I needed to add the missing detail like the door frame. Once it's in place and painted with a latch and working hinge, It should look pretty good.

DSC03301_zpsfa8ada1e.jpg

DSC03299_zps15d4294d.jpg

I then drilled and filed out the lower control arms to look more like the real car.

DSC03285_zpsf9704c98.jpg

I did many other little things like the lip around the hood and trunk, cleaned up the firewall which will be skinned in aluminum, thinned down the front fender wells, created the water collector/fuel log, started workin on the footwell air ventilation tubes, fuel tank, deeper rear wheels, and test fit, test fit, test fit and maybe some more test fitting...

Engine bay so far

DSC03295_zps6cebfe65.jpg

DSC03291_zps2836039f.jpg

And couldn't resist a wheel mock-up.

DSC03287_zpsd64e57b7.jpg

DSC03290_zps8fd9257e.jpg