Model Cars Magazine Forum

What I've learned on my Lotus Esprit

mredzadventure

This is the first build I've posted. I lurk here and very amazed by the quality of the build I see. I get the urge to build sometimes so I go with it. I'm not a constant modeler I have an R/C Car and plane problem that takes up most of my time but I got my start in model cars and it never truly went away. I'm going to post a few pics of my 32 Ford roadster first.

You will see how I used to do things before I started lurking on this board. I will then post my progress on my Lotus esprit to see how it opened my eye's to a whole new way of thinking for me.

I wasn't to concerned with details during this build. I built this about 11 or 12 years ago

9-6-12009.jpg

9-6-12010.jpg

9-6-12011.jpg

You can see I was into many colors with no real rhyme or reason everything shiny and new. No drive shaft I don't know what I was thinking about the fuel tank I think I got the top and bottom mixed up and just pushed forward anyway.

Here is the Lotus engine I actually looked at some pictures on the colors to see how it should be. I went with muted colors made the steel parts a steel color. I painted the belts black and the pulleys a steel color and went with a matt black finish. I used some dry brushing to highlight some details with a aluminum color. No shiny bits here

9-6-12012.jpg

I also added plug wires A lot had red wires or blue but the wire I had was a pretty good size and I wasn't sure how well the would take to paint. I also added some brass color on the head bolts .That is what i saw in a few pics on line. They will be hide under the engine cowl and are not really correct but I think they add a nice touch. I have some mold lines in the engine and To be honest I got this in a trade on line and liked the color and I didn't have a good match to re do it. I have another one of these and this is my practice kit

9-6-12015.jpg The chassis is a strait forward build on this kit added a few detail but nothing out of this world I did add some brake calipers to the discs the molded one on the front end looked kind of silly. You can see it on the bottom of the tire I just used some styrene tubing cut in half to make it look like a brake caliper.

9-6-12013.jpg

The interior was mostly done when I got the kit I liked the gray and stuck with it I added some flocking on the floor with embossing powder works great.

9-6-12018.jpg

My camera is pretty cheap so sorry for some of these pics

9-6-12019.jpg

I added some more flocking to the "boot" and I found out it wont cover a pin mark so I am scratch building a suitcase to cover up that little mistake :)

Well that is it I will post this thing when it is done. I wanted to show with a little more effort in any kit you can take it up a notch I'm not a contester I just love cars.

I'm into British cars lately but there are not many I don't like. This boars has so many great builders and the free flowing information here makes a novice builder like me improve his skills buy seeing what everyone is doing. I have to give a big thanks to Doctor Cranky his You tube video's are a huge asset to me. i learned a great deal from them I highly recommend them. When he said every model is a learning experience for the next that really worked for me. It is easy to get overwhelmed with the details sometimes you just have to start. Throw something at the wall and see what sticks Thanks for looking. any help is greatly appreciated

.When he said every model is a learning experience for the next that really worked for me.

Those are the words that guide me along with the following, it is not a race and fix your mistakes as you make them.

What kit is the Lotus? I would really like a Turbo Esprit.

thanks,

joe.

Those are the words that guide me along with the following, it is not a race and fix your mistakes as you make them.

What kit is the Lotus? I would really like a Turbo Esprit.

thanks,

joe.

Thanks all It is the Esprit Turbo 1990's era I believe It is pretty good kit the body is going to be the biggest challenge I traded with Tim for it and I had a good start So I can't take all of the credit :) But it is a process every model is a next step to improvement. This is a really fun car I am having a ball doing it.

I did a little respray today. A dunk in the purple bath last night three coats of primer with a sand in between. It really didn't need it the model was painted fine but a few pieces were bare .I couldn't find the right color so I just repainted it. I will have to polish it out and see what I get 9-6-12003-1.jpg

9-6-12002-1.jpg

Here is the interior on the chassis I scratched a simple suitcase to cover up the little mistake I made

• 1 month later...