Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need advice on "water based paint"

I deliver to a place that does autobody and this guy has many bottles of leftover water based paint. He let me pick one to take home.

ee002.jpg

I liked this one. Its like a pale gold. A champagne color yes? I plan to use this on my next project. 1971 Duster from AMT. The painter told me I can thin it with distilled water if I need too, but only a little at a time. And, I can clear it with just about anything. Has anybody used this type of paint before?

Jeff

Edited by sak

Guest G Holding

I use Auto Air..The two tricks with waterbased paint is to use the proper pressure (AA is 55psi) and you need a heat gun to flash the paint. You will need 3 or 4 coats as the paint tends towards transparent...BUT the color is worth it. Clear with any clear, I use lacquer based duplacolor clears,decanted and shot with low pressure (22psi)

Do you know what brand the paint is? Just because it "water based" doesn't neccessarily mean that water is the proper solvent. You might see of you fand out the brand and contact the manufacturer. It also doesn't mean it's non-toxic. From what I understand, the aqueous based paints are MORE toxic that their solvent based counterparts. Make sure you use proper sefety equipment when you spray it.

Guest G Holding

Bill...you need to read this.The biggest change in toxicity is due to the lack of voc's.

Every shop I know balked at the switch, due to cost / training etc. The fact is now they all swear by it and the work speaks for itself. For models, spraying anything in your home environment always read the label and follow directions...that includes all PSE as shown on the label.

http://www.epa.gov/d...neCaseStudy.pdf

I'm certainly not against aqueous based paint, but I've heard of guys who didn't use proper safety gear dying from exposure to it, with nothing that could be done to save them due to the damage the fumes did. In the cases I heard of, the exposure was less that 10 min.

Guest G Holding

Solids in your lungs are bad...water based or not...Always use your PSE Urethanes are the worst for both skin and lungs

Edited by G Holding