Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Loomis- plug for a honest resin caster

I have known Don Loomis of over 10+ years in the model car hobby. He casts some neat resin items. he is honest, I have sent him items to cast for me and have always gotten the orgs back(can't say this about other resin casters) Please tell him I told you to contact him. http://www.flickr.co...cort500xl/sets/

Edited by Casey

Hmmm, I got the AMT Falcon styline parts from him. Great service, but the resin wasnt fully cured. Its been 2 years, and it is still weeping. Interesting that the link does not show any AMT custom parts even tho I know he sells them. Perhaps I should contact him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you contact him about this ? I did get his Mountain AMC Engines . I am more than happy . Not only did I get the Stock pieces , also the Speed Equipment too . Anyone want to make a Racing AMC Engine ? I have parts , we can trade . These parts were and are all like injected . Only just not hollow . Thanx ..

Did you contact him about this?

Yes, I did, and he sent a replacement hood which was only slightly better. The fact that a part of such poor quality was of considered to be good enough to send to a customer is what concerns me most.

I did get his Mountain AMC Engines . I am more than happy. These parts were and are all like injected . Only just not hollow .

I'd be interested in seeing pics of what you or anyone else received.

• 9 months later...

THAT is the crux of tha biskit, as Frank would say! Reputable casters do NOT settle for "Good Enough" I've seen GOOD REPUTABLE Casters throw stuff out that I would have taken. If it's not good enough for THEM it's NOT good enough to SELL. I've been doin resin for A LOOOOOONG time and there ARE WAY different opinions on whats"good enough". No, Casey, I'd say those were SECONDS, and ya SHOULD have gotten BOTH of them for free!. When I buy from Drag City, Ed would throw stuff in for FREE!!! THAT is a man who VALUES your patronage!!!!!!

Yes, I did, and he sent a replacement hood which was only slightly better. The fact that a part of such poor quality was of considered to be good enough to send to a customer is what concerns me most.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of what you or anyone else received.

I will try to post pics of the Engines . I am able to use Photobucket . Sometimes , as it is iffy ... I have not tried to post here yet . Thanx ..

I will try to post pics of the Engines . I am able to use Photobucket . Sometimes , as it is iffy ... I have not tried to post here yet . Thanx ..

I'd appreciate that, John. The pics Don has posted in his fotki album and in his eBay listings do not look as bad as the parts I received, which is why I was both surprised and disappointed when my hood arrived.

I recently got an order of stuff from Don. I needed a couple of propane tanks for my camper builds and he had them in two sizes. I also bought a bunch of diorama type of stuff from his list. The cost of these was very low. Unfortunately, the quality left something to be desired. Maybe a peg lower than R&R quality. Good enough for what I ordered, there was a fair amount of work to square off and true up some of the parts.

The good side is that Don was very accommodating and answered emails very promptly. He was pleasant and good to deal with. He emailed me every step of the way and when some of the items were going to take a bit longer, he mailed me the bulk of the order, and followed up a week later with the additional parts. Any other caster would have just held the order.

I'd order again from him.