Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 vette top doorslammer

brett

As I was altering floors and chassis's for the starliner I thought I might as well do a bit of work on the next door car. A Flashpoint resins 62ish vette pro mod body. Amazingly for my luck the length the vette needed shortining was the same length the starliner needed for the lengthening (if yall can understand that).Vette chassis front, starliner middle and unmodified (except for the rear bars) at rear

DSCF0875.jpg

as you can see the vette has a very short cabin space while the fords is much longer, though the front needed to be extended for the vettes wheelbase. It will be blown and am hoping to make it a purple pearl

DSCF0867.jpg

DSCF0874.jpg

It will also have a top fuel style rear wing.

• 1 year later...

Its being a long time coming but its back. I couldnt get a chassis where I was happy with the fit,last night dragged it back out and got stuck into it.Heavily modified Revel pro sportsman chassis and tin with a fair amount of scratch building going on as well. Got most of the fab work done on it tonight, made it almost modular so it can be taken apart for paint and slid back together when dry and ready to glue. you can see the holes in the firewall for the steering shaft and double frame rails to slide into. Little bit of tidy up on the last few joints then off to paint. Driver's gonna have to be pretty skinny but

DSCF1895_zps92fa8952.jpg

DSCF1894_zps7e99bec2.jpg

DSCF1897_zps6de5a16a.jpg

DSCF1892_zps39c943b7.jpg

DSCF1889_zps61983c56.jpg

thanks guys, got the chassis primed and painted today. also got it installed on the tin, mucked around with wings and found one that I'll use, just gotta figure the best way of mounting it now. The chassis is a dark metallic purple not blue as the pics show

DSCF1902_zpsafda43dd.jpg

DSCF1901_zps8550fe98.jpg

DSCF1899_zps2c27ee71.jpg

DSCF1900_zps7629e231.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

DSCF1981_zps6a2ea251.jpg

DSCF1979_zpscde74b6f.jpg

DSCF1980_zpsd21ed0d6.jpg

everything is winged along as I go as I wasnt planning on detailing anything that didnt show outside the body on this one. Tried out a couple new things that worked quite well, had to change a couple of others, but reasonably happy with how its turning out

• 1 month later...

Nicely done Brett!` This color resembles the Testors "One Coat" rattle can I used on my second build, which was last year sometime. It was before I'd gone detail crazy and was just learning about using such stuff. I painted twine silver and then blue/red on the ends for fuel lines and actually installed my first aftermarket distributor and a tach/rollbar/firebottle from an Ebay purchase.

The color was called Purpl-icious and had way too much metallic in it. When I was done, I was a little scared of using clear coat because of prior problems so I used some of that vinyl floor clean & shine stuff. It actually turned out pretty good. I've kept the build in a clear box since then, so I don't know if it would yellow under normal show conditions.

Do you clear coat or polish and how/what do you use? I tried to use Testors One Coat clear in a shaker recently and although it was pre-warmed and pre-sprayed to clear the nozzle, it still managed to sputter on the roof and driver's side of the fully painted car. I had to let it all dry, lightly sand down the affected areas with 3600, then 6000 and wash & dry. I managed to get another 2 mist coats over the fixed areas and then 2 wet coats for evenness. I'll attach a couple of pics to show you how it turned out.

Man, this body is on my list of pro mods to do. Can you tell me if it came in a particular kit or is it a resin body? Revell has just released a kit like this that might be consider a gasser instead: the 1/25 D&M '62 'Vette but it has the newer rear fascia, the reverse slant with 2 dot lights per side. I like it but it comes with a gasser style engine, blower and suspension/stance.

As always bro, appreciate your input and admiring your work!

post-12210-0-64514700-1399469999_thumb.j

post-12210-0-11595700-1399470034_thumb.j

post-12210-0-79293300-1399470069_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Mitch, yes I do (almost always) use clear as I use a lot of base coat colors I need to clear them. If its not covered in decals I use Duplicolor Acrylic/Enamel straight from the can. If it is decaled I use PPG as the Duplicolor eats decals. Once dry I give it a quick once over with 2000 grit wet paper, the Tamiya Polish Fine the Tamiya polish Finish. This is a resin body (Flashpoint Resins) , the Revell body is a gasser and Personally I wouldnt use a single piece from it for this style of car, as a gasser/ modified production etc type car its perfect (and by all accounts a great kit). Your painted body looks great from what I can see and you saved it perfectly. Thanks for the props, I'll try and make more of an effort to get back on here, been building a fair bit though not a lot of drag stuff at the moment (well kinda not a lot :) maybe not finishing what I already had started and building new stuff would be better. Slack at taking pics too .