Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Important is Design?

Based on CadillacPat's post I might accuse him of being a designer/artist...

I have to disagree with his post.... in most cases there is a machine/device that fills a desired function, IMHO the design aspect comes if the device "needs" to be pleasing to the eye also in order to sell.

Other than that...it's an exercise in art that has mechanical functionality added. (these are my opinions...)

A pelican or platypus is usually not considered "artistically beautiful" but they usually function well within their environment...swans ARE considered artistically beautiful and still function well within their environment, given a visual choice most people will choose a swan over the other two.

personally, I like the lines of the classic E-type Jag...I find it "artistically beautiful", I find the new Dodge Chargers "brutishly handsome" but not as beautiful as the Challenger redo or the classic Jag.

(again, these are my opinions)

I prefer function over form, I'd take the platypus over a swan anyday. :)

I immediately thought of the e type as well.

Back to the design, I think it is very important in a car. I believe in balance so sure fuel economy and price are also important, but without design those other factors don't mean anything. Matter of fact, design was the main reason I purchased the new Hyundai Sonata. Though it may not be as outrageous or innovative as many other cars of the past, I think the Sonata gave most other cars in it's price category run for it's money when it comes to the design.