Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Dodge 330 Hot Rod.

W-409

Yep, you read the title right, it sounds odd. :blink: Maybe the builder is bit odd too, but yes, I'm building a Hot Rod from '64 Dodge 330 Glue Bomb. I'm not sure will this be shiny, nicely finished HotRod or satin colored "Rat Rod"... We'll see. The inspiration for this build is this '66 Nova Roadster by Chuck Most: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57970&st=0

I started working today. I'm building this while parts are drying for other builds, so I guess it's not gonna be finished in week or two. :lol: But it's not going to take forever. Honestly, I've been planning to build something like this for a while, but today I decided to test my new Razor Saw. It worked nicely. Here are some pictures.

The project Basis was this Glue Bomb.

P9130559.jpg

P9130560.jpg

Well, of course the body was too wide, so..... ;):P Here is the top sawed.

P9130561.jpg

More sawing:

P9130562.jpg

Then I glued the body halves together. Now some styrene and bondo, then it'll look better. I'm planning to fill the rear wheel openings from the body, move rear axle forward and shorten this body from rear side of rear axle.

P9130573.jpg

P9130574.jpg

P9130575.jpg

And then I started making the windshield. It's not the easiest thing to do winshield for this, because nowhere will probably be correct glass, and it's inpossible to make one from actetate. So I took the kit's windshield which had seen better days, but that's not so important, since I will make it smooth now, after narrowing and then I will heat form new windshield from acetate.

P9130572.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys!

This is really going to be something different, I'm planning right now what to do with the grille. Somehow I'd like use parts from the original one, or then just scratchbuild somekind of grille... :rolleyes: We'll see.

Yesterday I added some styrene for the seam on the top. I'm planning to do some sanding today to get it smoother, and then I will continue with other modifications.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again, little more work done. I removed rear wheel openings from the body using styrene. I've also started building the firewall-area, but more on that later when I get some more done.

My camera is broken, and these pics are taken with my video camera, which don't take as good "still pictures" as normal camera does.

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

Hey bud, it looks good, but in the old days a lot of altereds cut the fender well area out in a square shape. Then they cut the same section out of an area in front of the wheel well and moved it forward. Not telling you how to build it, just telling you how they did it. Keep up the goog work though. It is looking sharp.

Thanks, TJ!

I love Altered WheelBase Cars (That's why I put together Gasser & AWB Community Build on this forum :P ). And I'm going to move the rear axle a bit forward, but my car will not have rear wheel openings on the body, the rear tires will be outside the bodyline, just like in "real" Hot Rod. :lol: This will not be Traditional HotRod or any other building style vehicle. :D

I just want to say that all opinions and ideas etc. are appreciated, and very welcome! If you have some thoughts or if you can see that I'm doing something wrong here, just let me know, all opinions are appreciated and welcome.

More coming soon...

Edited by W-409

• 1 month later...

Thanx Simon, Corey and Randy!

And sorry about the delay, it has been collecting dust, but today I pulled it back, and here we go again. I added little styrene to the front end to get that firewall fit right. I did not narrow it from the center, because it would not be easy to sand those putties smooth there because it's not straight part, so I trimmed the sides to match body shapes. As you can see, there's still some need for styrene.

I also started making the frame. Not much done yet, but it's coming slowly....

PB1105601.jpg

PB1105621.jpg

PB1105631.jpg

PB1105651.jpg

More coming Soon!

Thanks, Corey! I got some more done with it, started making the chassis. I know the frame rails are quite heavy stuff as you saw in the last picture, but that's the way I like it, bigger car, bigger frame, right? Started the floor too, it's sheet styrene and still taking shape, actually this project is still in rough stages. The driveshaft tunnel will be fabricated when I decide, what engine I'll use.

PB130585.jpg

PB140603.jpg

Also, here is the next victim: The Trunk Lid:

PB140604.jpg

Thanks, Corey and Bruce!

Here's some more. I got the trunk lid narrowed and glued to place. I'm planning to shave that whole trunk away, so there would be no panel lines there. Also, I found the engine basis, it's a Mopar and I guess it's Small Block. Not sure though. I've painted it that color few years ago, and it's going to stay in that color too.

Now I've been building the engine bit more than the pictures show, I should have the update soon before I finish installing and connecting carburetor fuel lines.

PB150610.jpg

PB150611.jpg

Enough Carburetors?

I installed the Eight-Carburetor intake manifold and the carbs from AMT Double Dragster kit. Not really easy job to do, but I'm quite happy about the looks. I started the fuel lines too, next I have to make carburetor linkage, which will be huge job to do.

PB170019.jpg

PB170020.jpg

PB170021.jpg

PB170022.jpg

Hmm. I think you should end the body right where the trunk starts so that the rear of the frame and gas tank are visible. I really like what you're doing here. I've been kicking around the same thing but I haven't found the right victim yet.

Thanks for the great suggestion, Rob! I guess I'm not going to end it completely, but maybe little shortening should work. Gotta try and see how it looks. Thanks!

The engine might be that Wedge too, since plastic color is quite close and instructions look quite same too. Nothing beats Cubic Inches, so always better when it's a Big Block. :lol: And Thanks!

Thanks, Corey, too :D !

It has been on li'l hold now, since I have a bunch of exams in the school now. Once I get them cleared, I'll continue this one.