Model Cars Magazine Forum

Overhaulin Bel-Air on EBAY

the overall build quality is lacking, I understand they only have 7 days to build it, but there's some area that need some help. like look at the undernieth of the trunk, very rough. and the fitment of everything is very off

... did I mention that it's ugly?

7 days build time is for the public because their attention span is usually pretty short. However, this type of build generally never actually makes it into the public’s realm. And selling it on eBay at this price is really a crime!

I like how Monster Garage stuff actually disappears from the public view ‘cause it's usually fairly dangerous and poorly built. However, it does have something Overhauling doesn’t and that's ATTITUDE!

Most viewers who watch the Overhauling show think that these cars are just as cool and well built as anything they see at Oakland or Seattle auto show! Sadly that is not the case and usually the bondo is put on right over the rust and the paint is barely dry when the "builders" receive their new toolboxes!

The coolest car I ever saw built up on Overhauling was a ’26 T built by the “Shifters†car club. No pretentious designs and no builder in-fighting, just a neat vintage rod built the old fashioned way.

Now that was pretty neat!!!!

Most viewers who watch the Overhauling show think that these cars are just as cool and well built as anything they see at Oakland or Seattle auto show! Sadly that is not the case and usually the bondo is put on right over the rust and the paint is barely dry when the "builders" receive their new toolboxes!

Umm, Jairus.... the builders on MONSTER GARAGE get toolboxes. The builders on OVERHAULIN get a warm & fuzzy feeling :wink:

Although overpriced, that `56 is still a sweet ride. And what isn't overpriced these days. How about a `70 `Cuda rag top :shock:

Foose also had a hand in Titus' tv show. A technical adviser or some such,,,I'd have to look at the credits again.

Your right Steve, Foose was involved with the Titus show, which was one of the funnier sit-coms to never make it on TV... When ever they showed a shot of the shop or living room on Titus there were Foose drawings on the walls.

Ok, I might have been wrong on a couple of points but I stand by my basic premise. You cannot build a decent custom car in 7 days no matter how many people you have working for you. Even in Boyd’s shop! It takes a real craftsmen TIME to look at his work and make adjustments day by day in order to get it right. I NEVER finish a drawing the same day that I start it because you see things through different eyes after a good nights sleep. Most of the builders on shows like Overhauling, Pimp and whatever, have to perform at turbo speed while the camera is on them. They have to produce the part and that's it! Little chance to make changes after a good nights sleep...

I bet if you talked to most of the builders who worked on the '56, to a man, they would suggest one or two things that they would have liked to do differently with their part of the car if they had more time!

Ok, I might have been wrong on a couple of points but I stand by my basic premise. You cannot build a decent custom car in 7 days no matter how many people you have working for you. Even in Boyd’s shop! It takes a real craftsmen TIME to look at his work and make adjustments day by day in order to get it right. I NEVER finish a drawing the same day that I start it because you see things through different eyes after a good nights sleep. Most of the builders on shows like Overhauling, Pimp and whatever, have to perform at turbo speed while the camera is on them. They have to produce the part and that's it! Little chance to make changes after a good nights sleep...

I bet if you talked to most of the builders who worked on the '56, to a man, they would suggest one or two things that they would have liked to do differently with their part of the car if they had more time!

While it is true, that the cars on this show aren't up to normal "Pro Built show car standards" , I have seen a few of these cars in person, and can attest that these are far and away better built than most well built ameture customs. while many of these have small areas where they might lose points in a judged car show, 100% of the time these cars leave the shop far cooler, and safer than they arrived.

On many boards I hear people say that you can't build a car in 7 days, and that these are POSs that are just "slapped together". Having a team of 30 or so people each with a specific job, using proven parts & techiques you can do it. Keep in mind that most nascar race cars are built in not much more time. The trick to how foose does this is, you will notice that he rarely pushed the envelope as far as modifications.

Most of the mods to these cars involve bolt on parts, or body mods he and his crew have done a hundred times over. 90% of the time he uses pre-built crate engines and trannies, Bolt-on suspension mods, bolt-on brake upgrades, and most of these parts are often installed and set up but the people who designed and built them. How many times have you heard things like "Here are the guys from Magna flow to install the exhaust" or "here are the guys from Baer Brakes to install the brakes" Most of the work done on these cars are done by experts in their field who know the pitfalls and potential problems they face.

The reason they are able to do a car in 7 days where most pro's wouldn't be able too, is because they are a TV show they have access to people and support that most shops don't. try to get Art Carr to come to your garage to install the tranny some time. It's not just that they have 30 people working on the car but they always have thirty of the most experiences builder working on the car.

He can get it done because he is Chip Foose, with a national TV show, and has access to all tyhe best help. You or I wouldn't be able to do it in seven days, nor would most pro's. It's all about having access and experience, and also knowing the limitations of the time table. You will notice that everytime he pushed the envelope he went over, but he was willing to blow the deadline to do it right.

A little known fact about Overhaulin'... The owner doesn't get the car back at the end of the week. Yes, theres a big tearful unvieling and all, which looks good on film. But the cars are sent to another shop where they are thoroughly gone over, bolt by bolt. It actually takes several months for them to put thier official stamp of approval on it (there are some horror stories concerning this length of time). Lets face it, the production company (and Foose) understands the liability issue and are not going to release an unsafe car. I've talked to a few people who have been involved in the builds on the show and they have been impressed by the guality of the cars, given the time frame. Of course they're not Ridler Contenders! But the cars are in much, much better shape than when they started!

As for Pimp My Ride... Theres a tri-five Chevy here in town... after a few months, you can already see the paint starting to bubble. Don't get me started on how bad that show is...

I, for one, think Foose is one of the best designers around... just look at his Ridler and AMBR wins! I'd also love to have my 64 Galaxie cv on Overhaulin', but I don't think thats gonna happen!

I, for one, think Foose is one of the best designers around... just look at his Ridler and AMBR wins! I'd also love to have my 64 Galaxie cv on Overhaulin', but I don't think thats gonna happen!

Another Steve I agree with! Chip & Co. can steal (any one of...) my cars and do as he pleases with it. I don't care if it's the `04 GTI or the `68 Barracuda, or either one of the ######-box beater Nissans we own.

And anyone whom even acknowledges "Pimp my ride" exisits ......

sterb214.gif

I was watching the Barrett/Jackson auction on T.V. this last year and Foose had a car on the block. When the bidding started to slow down. Foose grabs up a mic and proclaims to the crowd, This is not an OverHauling car. As to say this is a car that has been built right, not some piece of ###### we built on Overhaling. My wife even noticed it. And she couldn't care less about this stuff. I'm with Jarius on this. I don't think their is any way possible to build a quality car in seven days. Heck, we can't even build a decent model in seven days. I think Foose has gotten himself blown up way out of proportion. I'm not saying he's not good at what he does but, he's not God.

Rex Murphy

Heck, we can't even build a decent model in seven days.

Wrong, a few of the ACME members including myself just built models from start to finish during the 24 Heures Du Mans. If I say so myself, they look pretty ###### nice for 20 hour builds with no sleep.

I'm not even going to get started on the Foose topic.

I don't think their is any way possible to build a quality car in seven days. Heck, we can't even build a decent model in seven days. I think Foose has gotten himself blown up way out of proportion. I'm not saying he's not good at what he does but, he's not God.

Rex Murphy

All I'm saying is I have seen some of the cars and talked to some of the owners, and these are nice cars. not to mention these cars get fully worked over and tuned well after the seven days build so technically Day these aren't "7 Day Builds"

Getting back to the above mentioned '56, I'll agree with Jairus and say it's way overpriced, but I'm not sure about the ugly part. I think the color scheme sucks, I don't like what they did with the windshield or the seats and it's too low for my tastes, but it still looks like a '56 Chevy and that car just ain't ugly, it's a classic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to go with Darin on this.Now I'm not a mechanic much less an expert builder of customs. I have to agree and it makes perfect sense that if you have a team consisting of 30 people and most specialize in one area, you can build a great looking car that is road worthy and safe.

Foose's credentials speaks for themselves.He isn't about to put his carrier in jeopardy over a bunch of incompetently build t.v. cars.

Is this particular car desirable?To some it is.I would take anything build by Foose!From the photos provided, I don't see anything wrong with it.The rough trunk could possible be from use.It was built for someone to drive on a daily basis, so I would not be so quick to critisize any questionable flaws.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

RowdyYates

• 1 month later...
somebody never watch the overhaulin show have they? watch it and tell us when the body work is done. where did new metal come from? did the rust make it?

??????

They get most of the new sheetmetal from OPG, as they did the new trunk for the 66 Lemans convertible on the episode I watched last night.

Heres what gets me. these guys get Overhauled because someone recognizes how much they love their old beaters and the fact that they will never be able to finish it the way they want. Friends and family who love and care for this person collaborate to give them this really great gift, and in appreciattion they turn around and sell it on Ebay. Too me thats a slap in the face.

This one was not a family car. It was a car donated to Wyo-tech and then overhauled and presented to the main teacher to show appreciation by his students. The episode was a couple of years ago, so my memory is a bit faded. I don't know if the car was given to the teacher by the school or if the school retained ownership. So I don't think that auctioning it off to create a scholarship program is in poor taste. The people who do have their family do it out of a gesture of love and then sell it on ebay need a reality check...

This one was not a family car. It was a car donated to Wyo-tech and then overhauled and presented to the main teacher to show appreciation by his students. The episode was a couple of years ago, so my memory is a bit faded. I don't know if the car was given to the teacher by the school or if the school retained ownership. So I don't think that auctioning it off to create a scholarship program is in poor taste. The people who do have their family do it out of a gesture of love and then sell it on ebay need a reality check...

I remember that one now, you are right Ken in this case its not such a bad thing. I should have read the details of the auction

Not really a big deal, I do believe like you, that these people should either keep the cars or give them back to Foose. Let him decide the fate... and not in a Jesse James/Monster Garage fashion either... :lol:

I have seen some of these cars when they were fresh, still smelled like wet paint, and they looked good. But months later when I saw them again and the paint and filler materials had cured, they looked sad.

Shrinkage, orange peel, ghosting, waves, you name it, all the things that would get a model dismissed from a serious model contest had manifested themselves since the chemical products did not have a chance to cure in the short time the cars were built.