Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 540K

The Creative Explorer

This is a often reissued Italeri kit, it is very simple and is old. The tires come in 2 plastic parts and the model is lacking detail, but on the other hand, all the detail that has been put in the model, is mostly in the visible part. The missing details are under the hood and chassis, therefore it is not a big deal and I wanted to build a good looking model out of a very simple kit. To proof that it doesn't has to be a Tamiya to look nice.

540k001.jpg

540k002.jpg

540k003.jpg

540k004.jpg

540k005.jpg

PS: One small error. The convertible top hinges are mounted backwards on the wrong sides. Note that the rear part of the lower hinge arm is attached to the body, not the top. For some reason, I can't upload to Photobucket at the moment, but you can find a picture of the correct way on this page:

http://goo.gl/DBiCJ

EDIT: I have to be quick on the trigger finger to get into PB today. This might work.

Picture3-6.png

If you want to see more pictures, Google 1937 Mercedes 540K Cabriolet C.

Edited by sjordan2

Pretty combo. I'm presuming this is the Heller kit?

Nice job.

Charlie Larkin

He said it was the Italeri, which was also boxed as Testors-Italeri. Far more accurate than any Monogram 540K and useful as a donor kit for upgrading Monogram (or vice-versa). Monogram 540K fenders are totally inaccurate.

Thank you-I sure did.

A. Rich guys in Der Fadderlant wear funny hats.

B. Benz used to build drop-dead gorgeous cars.

C. It's great to have your own private road.

D. I never want to unfold the hood of a multi-million $$ car.

Drop the 'sjordan2' handle-Your new ID here is DOCTOR RESEARCH!

Edited by Cato

Thank you all for the kind words :)

I just like from time to time, to build something in a more simple, rudimentary way. No fancy PE, seatbelts or whatsoever, but back to the basics. It keeps me sane and helps me practise other techniques. And for a change it is also nice to have something new on the shelf! haha.

@Skip: thank you and you are completely right. Even though I had no manual, I completely missed that. It seems logical at the moment, but after your pictures it doesn't no more. I will get the model tomorrow and redo those hinges, it needs to look somewhat right, right?

@Robert Carpenter: Yes, it is a Burgundy, it is a color from a Skoda Favorit (east-european car). And the other color is a mixture between gray and beige. Both are non-metallics, which I think look just par on these cars.

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Very few prewar passenger cars had original metallic paint because in those days, they were made from compounds that didn't wear well (including ingredients like fish scales), dulled out soon and had to be repainted. Most metallic paints you see on those old cars now have been redone with better paints.

Edited by sjordan2