Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '75 AMC Gremlin X

Casey

Tower Hobbies now has an image of the AMT '75 Gremlin X kit up, and it looks to be the same box art as the original, which was posted earlier in this thread:

No sure if this will be a (close to?) straight re-packaging of the '76 kit in the "flat" box with the Art Series print, but my guess would be yes, minus the M&H slicks. It's supposed to arrive in late November.

Tower Hobbies now has an image of the AMT '75 Gremlin X kit up, and it looks to be the same box art as the original, which was posted earlier in this thread:

No sure if this will be a (close to?) straight re-packaging of the '76 kit in the "flat" box with the Art Series print, but my guess would be yes, minus the M&H slicks. It's supposed to arrive in late November.

I assume this will have also have the '75 parts tooled up (the '75 has a different grille, parking lights, headlight bezels and probably some other parts)...since the front cap is a separate part on the re-issued/retooled '76 kit, I assume they had this variation in mind...

Edited by Rob Hall

• 2 weeks later...

I'll buy one of these. I used to have a '74. I think the '74 and '75 look pretty much the same.

Mine had a 258 six though. I need to get a Jeep CJ kit and swap engines.

No CJ kits with a six- but the Tamiya Wrangler has a 4.0 that's decent. But it's only decent (not great) and it's 1:24 scale.

Your best bet would be to get the 258 from Jeff Ballard at Motor City Resin Casters. Haven't picked up that one yet, but a friend of mine has one, and it's a good one. :)

Edited by Michigan Madman

No CJ kits with a six- but the Tamiya Wrangler has a 4.0 that's decent. But it's only decent (not great) and it's 1:24 scale.

Your best bet would be to get the 258 from Jeff Ballard at Motor City Resin Casters. Haven't picked up that one yet, but a friend of mine has one, and it's a good one. :)

I know. I looked at my Monogram CJ-7 kit and saw the 304 in it. I could have sworn that had a six. And the old MPC CJ-5 has a four banger.

Thanks for the heads up on the resin 4.2L. I'll look for that.

Edited by dmk

COOL!!!!!!!!! Gotta get two of these for sure! The 75 Gremlin was my very first real car handed down to my from my older brother. It was tan with the dog dish hub caps, 258 straight six ford engine, Chrysler 727 TorqueFlight transmission and 9" Ford rear end. It was ugle but it was pretty quick! I beat a V8 Dodge Duster with it once! It's funny how most of us find that car ugly but think the model is cool! LOL

I don't think so, but not totally sure.

Did any of AMT's Gremlins include the straight six, or was that only found in the Pacer kits?

I don't think any of the Gremlin kits came with the six cyl. Is there a kit out there that has a nice Ford 258 straight six? I think the Chrysler trans would be easy to find but I don't remember seeing the engine? I'd like to build a replica of my first car.

LoL...hopefully this will be in a normal box and not the silly oversized box like the '76 was in.

I thought the "art" box was a great idea...until I bought one and realized the print wasn't all that and the box's thickness/depth did little to protect the body from getting crushed, despite the cardboard wall surrounding the body shell.

R2 more than likely found the 75 inserts for the grille and nose piece. I don't see a 71 or 72 as the body would have to be re-tooled along with grille/nose etc. I love having them back in a normal box.

I thought '74 was the first year Gremlin that AMT did, but a search on eBay turned up a '72 funny car..didn't know about that one. Bandit Resins makes a '71 or '72 in resin, the build up of it in a recent SA looked pretty good.

I thought '74 was the first year Gremlin that AMT did, but a search on eBay turned up a '72 funny car..didn't know about that one.

I have the F/C Gremlin kit. The front grille and bumper is a separate casting that was not on the chrome tree.....so if it was still in the kit it would be nice for R2 to throw it in. It would work well on a Pro Stock build! GREMLINWB-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are those headlight washers I see ? Or ?

The pic is from Scandinavia. Headlight wipers are mandatory there on any car built after 1974. If they aren't available from the manufacturer, they have to be improvised using parts from another make. And no, they were not available on Gremlins from the factory.

Here are a few more examples of cars that had been made legal for use in Sweden:

wg-plymouth-valiant-3.jpg

61804_1284745829.jpg

5825451293_c422bf5569_b.jpg

3182250078_64d11901f1.jpg

You get the picture (pun intended).

Edited by Junkman