Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Drag Radial 69 camaro

Prostreet

Time for another build, I have been very anxious to get this build moving. All though i like promod cars and drag racing in general my heart really lies in small tire cars. i was able to pickup this started kit off ebay really cheap and it's my favorite year camaro, Not sure how soon i will get more progress on it but just couldn't wait to share it. I was looking to get some Mickey Thompson drag radials in (275/60/15) done and mentioned it to Ted (Tedsmodeling) and he was in contact with Tim from TDR And he was able to create exactly what i wanted, Then i contacted Jim at mico nitro and he machined me the rear Mickey Thompson Pro-5 beadlock wheels. For the fronts i may narrow the front tires then get Jim to machine the front wheels. It will be bigblock powered with either a gear driven pro charger or nitrous. i will build a Fab-9 rear end and I'm gonna try to keep it stock suspension with mono-leafs, front suspension will be built out of brass and i will open the trunk, I think i may leave the doors shut on this one. Not sure if i will make it fit into a specific class or not, i may also try to make it have the RS front.

My insperation for the build.

8948fb7b.jpg

The tires and wheels.

ef2370a9.jpg

b8761965.jpg

Ride hieght i'm shooting for.

84059456.jpg

bfd08325.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thx. Fellas, No real update but thought you guys might like to see the matching front wheels and i got some paint on the rear tires. I took a stock set of tires from the kit and narrowed them down to my liking then sent them out to Jim( micronitro) to get the front wheels made. Very happy with the job Jim did on these wheels. Now i'm trying to get some sizing info on a fab 9" rear so i can start building the rear, I'm trying to get the Promod's interior done first before i get to deep into this one. I may start trying to fit the leaf springs up this weekend to see if i can make them work.

EFB2910D-EBB2-4A5D-B77D-1FA4B7B86D8F-4051-0000050E8C8D6162_zpsb554b674.jpg

0E561322-B4CA-4B84-B692-092FFA805F0F-4051-0000050E9A14AFA9_zps38b0f981.jpg

E36240A1-7757-49D0-9EC5-FD216E145CEE-4051-0000050EA5A19F74_zps33d0d07a.jpg

17BAC1D2-8E56-41CF-BDA9-49E20B8F33FC-4051-0000050EB4FC4989_zps78542825.jpg

Thx. Guys.

What did you use for painting those tires? They look Very good to me, just like rubber. I have few builds where I have to paint tires, and your painting looks just right.

Niko, I primered them with Rust-oleum filler primer then hit them with model masters matte black.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful 1:1 car there. Are you going to paint the scale model version the same blue? Need to build me a large scale blue car as I loved the Admiral Blue Metallic paint I put on my '96 Grand Sport Corvette in 1/24 scale. I can only imagine that a larger scale car would look even better in a deep metallic blue color. :D

In person the tires are real nice, The tread does not look goofy like some of the narrowed tires I have seen.

Joe did a nice job of slicing and splicing so the cut is in the tire tread's grooves. It's a bit of a bummer that Monogram didn't see fit to make those Eagle ST tires as 15" tires, instead of 14".

• 4 months later...