Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Ford rag top

2002p51

Back in the seventies this would've been called a "Resto-rod", today you hear the term "Resto-mod" more often. I don't really care for either name, I just think cars like this are cool. At any rate, what it is, is a car that is mostly stock on the outside but modified underneath.

4801-vi.jpg

This is, of course, a Revell/Monogram "Pro Modeler" '48 Ford convertible. The paint is all Testors Model Master, "Ford & GM Engine Blue" on the body, "Guards Red" on the wheels, and "Leather" on the top and interior. The chassis and underside is "Semi-Gloss Black". All of it applied by airbrush.

4802-vi.jpg

4803-vi.jpg

The engine is a Ford Hi-Performance 289 from the Monogram Mustang GT-350.

And in keeping with my current trend of "Minimalist Modeling", i.e. if you can't see it, I don't spend any time on it, there is no detail underneath and a minimum of parts.

Okay, I open the table for discussion.

4804-vi.jpg

Edited by 2002p51

If minimalist means mold lines, nits in the paint, and panel line seperation, well I want no part of it.

Cool color though.

G

So, I take it you didn't think much of my model, huh? I'll give you the second two criticisms. I've never done a paint job that didn't have a little bit of dust in it somewhere. I have two cats in the house and I paint in the garage. Dust in the paint is a given around here and I don't lose any sleep over it. And yes, the paint did get a little thin in the panel lines. My bad, mixed the paint a touch too thin. That actually looks worse on the photos than it does in person. But mold lines? Nope, I can't take that one.

But mold lines? Nope, I can't take that one.

Not to stir up trouble, but he's right. Check the top of the radiator. :blink: Sorry, it's plain as day right there in the photo.

But I like it. Nice model. Resto mod, resto rod, whatever it is.. it looks cool! B) I especially like the dash detailing/foil work. Very nice.

Not to stir up trouble, but he's right. Check the top of the radiator. :blink:

Oh okay, I'll give you that one. But technically it's not a mold line, it's a joint between two parts. I was thinking he was talking about mold lines on the body, of which there are none! And again, do you know how often anybody looks under the hood on any of my models? Never, not ever, never. I was really tempted to not even put an engine in there. I had this entire model done, all but final assembly, before I even started on the engine.

I'll tell you what else isn't in there either, there's no battery, no master cylinder, no steering column, no fuel lines, no throttle linkage.

That photo is most likely the last time the hood will ever be off this model! :lol:

Must be the lighting. I can't see it on the model. Studio lighting and good lenses will do that. It wouldn't be the first time I've had to go back and "fix" something after seeing how it photographed.

And for the record, I can't see it in the interior photo.

Edited by 2002p51