Model Cars Magazine Forum

traders must do a better job of packing models

This is something that really bothers me about convertible bodies. I buy a rare pristine model from someone on Ebay that knows nothing about models. When I get it in the mail there is a bunch of parts piled on the now broken frame. I take a thin piece of cardboard about a inch to a inch and a half wide and create a rectangle that fits over the frame and then tape it to the sides of the body. I sold an original issued AMT 67 Camaro pace car kit to a guy in Canada. I put the body in a separate box. This is kit number 6867-200, it has never been reissued.

when I buy a convt from a ebay auction or from a indv seller I always contact them and tell them how fragile these cars are and I request them to pack them very careful. this usually works as they don't want a damage claim throught ebay or paypal.

I recently purchased a large lot of '60's and '70's built models on eBay. I sent a note with payment asking that they be packaged well and mentioned that a lot of sellers lately are just tossing them in a box and mailing. I received the items in 2 boxes about a week later. One had a sheet of newspaper between layers of models; the other had them (you guessed it) tossed in a box and had newspaper wadding at the top to fill the empty space. Original issues on the bottom were crushed and in pieces.

When I advised of the condition in which the models arrived, the seller stated that there was no way he could ship safely for the amount charged ($25 - his own listed price), and that if I had wanted them packaged well I should have offered to pay more. In point of fact, the models weighed 24 pounds and could have been safely shipped in one box USPS Parcel, for $19. I do a lot of shipping and checked to be sure. Waiting a few days to leave feedback to make sure it's not left out of annoyance, but I don't think it will be good.

On the positive side, most sellers (and traders) do make some effort to package safely. It's rare that something actually arrives damaged.

Got this kit off ebay a few weeks ago. The pics do not do the damage justice. All the seller did was wrap the flimsy AMT box in birthday wrapping paper. When it arrived, half of the wrapping paper was stuffed inside the box. Thank goodness all the contents were fine!

photo-vi.jpg

I bought a lot of 14 Johan ramblers off Ebay. The seller was less than 100 miles away from me and they tossed everything into a box with no packing what so ever. Five of the bodies were damaged, and the one piece of tape on the bottom almost came undone. Needless to say I left accurate feedback. I still got enough of a deal that I couldn't complain.

I am lucky in that my wife was able to bring home some boxes that are slightly larger than a typical model kit box. The kit fits in nicely and I try to wrap the kit in bubble wrap and/or tuck some newspaper into the box to keep the kit from moving around. I use USPS and have found that they tend to not crush boxes as bad as UPS.

I have not heard any complaints about my packaging so I will guess that it is working!

The last purchase that I received was packed as beautifully as possible. Foam in side the kit and foam on all four sides of the kit box and foam on the ends. When the UPS driver left it on my porch the whole thing was kind of in an "L" shape. Sprue frames were bent. parts popped off the sprues and some small parts broken but none that I couldn't fix. I hesitate to guess what it would have looked like without adequate care in packing. I pack the same way. I even put decal sheets in Saran Wrap or a ziploc baggie. Most delivery persons go to pains to take care of parcels, but the monster automated sorting machines in use don't care. If a model kit is on the bottom of a hamper, the machine doesn't care if a case of Nutrasystem Protein Shakes lands on top of it. Adios, Larry.

i always comment on their packaging in the comments section (good or bad) everytime.

I usually try and comment on the most positive aspect of the deal - speed of shipping, great price or communication, and sometimes exceptional packaging. This time, however, poor packaging will certainly be mentioned. I really dislike leaving negative feedback, but I'm really not seeing much way around it in this instance.

I think you should pretty well expect a built-up model to arrive with at least some damage. Think about it. Unless it's supported by the axles and NOTHING touches the body, there will most certainly be impact of some sort when it's tossed around. Period.

This hasn't usually been a problem for me, as the only built-ups I buy are gluebombs, and who cares if they're partially self-disassembled on arrival? I HAVE had 3 instances where several models were indeed tossed-in-a-box with nothing but sheets of un-crumpled paper between them. In EVERY case, a dispute opened through the e-bay channels ended up with the seller making good on the damage in terms of $$ refunded. It's important to folow-through with e-bay's excellent Buyer-Protection procedure within the time limits.

I've NEVER had a boxed, un-built model arrive with shipping damage. So far.

Just remember though, THINGS GET DAMAGED IN SHIPPING. I just had a $5000 fuel injection system for a client arrive in a box that UPS had driven a fork-lift into. Not pretty.

I think you should pretty well expect a built-up model to arrive with at least some damage. Think about it. . . . there will most certainly be impact of some sort when it's tossed around. Period.

That's an excellent point and one most people tend to overlook. I have no problem at all with that sort of thing and do expect it, particularly on the older builts. If you can't re-attach a mirror, bumper, header, or wheel, you probably shouldn't be buying built models.

One of the best packing jobs I've received on a built-up model was a 1/25 Maserati 3500: Packed lightly with foam and a bit of bubble wrap inside a plastic display case that was securely taped, then boxed with more bubble wrap, then placed in another box with peanuts. That plastic display case made all the difference.