Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember when?

Everything used to be cheaper! Except electronics. TVs, DVD players, phones, etc. are actually coming down in price over time. The first VCR I bought was $850. In the end they were selling for $100 or less.

Oh, and Model T's. They got cheaper and cheaper as the years went on.

Now its 1.49 at hobby lobby. l can't remember how much it was in the early 70's when l was a kid..

You know, when you think about it... a buck and a half for one quarter of an ounce of paint is a huge ripoff. $6 for an ounce of plain old enamel paint? That's $198 a quart! That's $800 a gallon!!!

Yeesh... talk about making a fair profit... :rolleyes:

Everything used to be cheaper! Except electronics. TVs, DVD players, phones, etc. are actually coming down in price over time. The first VCR I bought was $850. In the end they were selling for $100 or less.

Oh, and Model T's. They got cheaper and cheaper as the years went on.

Airfare is much less expensive than years ago too, not even considering inflation :unsure:

Sure wish I wouldn't have gotten into aviation :rolleyes:

You know, when you think about it... a buck and a half for one quarter of an ounce of paint is a huge ripoff. $6 for an ounce of plain old enamel paint? That's $198 a quart! That's $800 a gallon!!!

Yeesh... talk about making a fair profit... :rolleyes:

Actually Harry,

It's NOT the paint that is expensive--the glass bottle is probably a good 80% or more of that price. In addition, don't forget the weight of glass bottles--a carton of a dozen Testors square bottles is a pretty high density item (speaking as one who over a period of nearlyh 30 years handled thousands of bottles of Testors paints.)

Art

Actually Harry,

It's NOT the paint that is expensive--the glass bottle is probably a good 80% or more of that price. In addition, don't forget the weight of glass bottles--a carton of a dozen Testors square bottles is a pretty high density item (speaking as one who over a period of nearlyh 30 years handled thousands of bottles of Testors paints.)

Art

Ok... so using your numbers, the cost of the paint in the bottle is only about 30ยข (20% of $1.49).

That works out to "only" $1.20 an ounce, or $38.40 a quart, or $150 a gallon.

Guest G Holding

OK I was 21 .....once, a long time ago.

Now lemme check pricing....A quart of HOK Shimirin Black Pearl is $76.95 at Coast Airbrush...(300+gal)

So If Testors is ONLY $150 a gallon, seems to be priced about right, although Duplacolor qts are less

than $30.

And whats the retail markup on that paint...100% ? How long does it take to rotate stock ?

Nuff said. Cost is a part of life.....

I think if you are going to go through the trouble of scratch building or kit bashing or simply pouring all these hours into a model, the least you can do is use the proper paint, and yes, it is going to be a bit expensive.

The military modelers spend a fortune on each model because they use photo etch and real metal tracks, etc . . . and there is no way to skimp on the paint of a model.

Ok... so using your numbers, the cost of the paint in the bottle is only about 30ยข (20% of $1.49).

That works out to "only" $1.20 an ounce, or $38.40 a quart, or $150 a gallon.

Have you priced a gallon of paint lately?

$150 will not buy anything worth a chit.

Ps, I don't remember what I paid for paint WAY back then. I do good to remember what I had for dinner last night.

I think back when I got into models,(mid -late 60's time frame ) kits were under $1 , no more than $2

Edited by gtx6970

Actually Harry,

Art

You are right on the weight of those, not as bad as a case of dominos (those are a good bit more portly!) , but surprisingly hefty..........especially whe you recieve a 1 1/2 foot square box of paints in bottles and cans, I want to say a decent restock of our paints can weigh upwards of 40+ pounds and not even completely fill that box up!