Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember when?

I think if you are going to go through the trouble of scratch building or kit bashing or simply pouring all these hours into a model, the least you can do is use the proper paint, and yes, it is going to be a bit expensive.

The military modelers spend a fortune on each model because they use photo etch and real metal tracks, etc . . . and there is no way to skimp on the paint of a model.

Oh Virgil how right you are. I once made the mistake of attempting to tabulate the cost of a simple tank build. Yeah I gave up, no sense depressing myself.

G

I remember a case back in the 70's when there was a limit to how much prices could rise. Seems like Testor's,or maybe one of the other companies,raised their prices too much, and a young modeler filed a lawsuit and won. The company had to lower the prices back down. I want to say it was during the Carter administration, but I could be wrong. Anybody else remeber this, or have I been sniffing too much paint?

Would you like your wages to be what they were when you were a kid and paind 10-15 cents a bottle? Sure everything was less but times change and so do economies.

You will NEVER see that again.

I'd love to see my wages go up in relation to the difference in gas prices between when I started with models and now ;)

AMT Styline kits for $1.49 - Trophy kits for $1.19 - Double kits for $2.00 - Revell Parts Packs for 49 - 69 cents - Testor's jar paints for 10 cents - and if you had birthday or Christmas money - Pactra spray paint for 69 cents. annual subscription to Rod & Custom was $3.00. Auto World was the mecca for all things detail including Ulrich mini-men @ 2 for 69 cents, chenille upholstery kits, too, and the ubiquitous "Auto-Cutter" for a whopping $4.95.

I know it costs money to make new kits and Revell has put new kits lately and a Revell kit costs 25 bucks before the coupon at hobby lobby. The revell super wagon by AMTis 25 bucks and the double kit is 21 bucks for the same tooling as many bought as kids for 2.50 ...

I remember when dad would buy it for me to keep me entertained and out of his hair for awhile, probably seemed like a value to him, but I never paid attention to the prices, well, until I went to the hobby store and about fell over when they told me how much 6 bottles of paint were!