Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to make a reallistic sliding side door on a Ford "Phantom" Van?

That would take some pretty slick micro-engineering and I kinda doubt anyone's done it yet. You can probably be the first with a really trick mod.

If you look at 1:1 sliding van doors, you'll see there are curved tracks in the body shell, and support arms from the doors that have rollers on the ends that run in the tracks.

To make a scale, working version, you're going to have to duplicate the motion provided by the track-and-roller arangement, in whatever scale you're working in.

There's no easy way....this will require some carefully measured, thought out and fabricated work....and even a tutorial won't show exactly what measurements you're going to need for your particular application. Study the full-sized ones and go from there.

Good luck with it, and if you get it done I'm sure we'd all love to see your results.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Steve Perry's ALREADY done it. His Ford 4x4 van and Drag jet-drive boat took first in his class I believe(though i'm not sure)at GSL. It has a completely functioning slideing side door that id prototypicaly correct. Steve's a good freind and fellow member of the DMCC. A nicer guy you'll NEVER meet!