Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Jaguar in Opalescent Silver Gray

tobaccoleafpie

Killer. That's the color scheme I have in mind for mine, but perhaps a bit darker paint. Nice work on reducing the body seam. Did the metallic paint make that a chore, or did you use some original technique to handle it?

Thanks to all for you kind comments and support. Skip, I wanted a darker color too. The darker color is Opalescent Gunmetal and it provides more contrast for the chrome window moldings than the Silver. I use paint from Automotivetouchup.com. Unfortunately they don't make Gunmetal despite my knowing the color code. Anyway, this is what the Gunmetal looks like:

gunmetal1_zps93001d7e.jpg

As for the panel lines, I rolled up some masking tape like a cigarette except inside out. I then wrapped it around the panel lines like this:

panellinesjag_zps690fd0b1.jpg

This way, I avoided masking lines and so it feathered in. Next, I took off the masking tape and wet sanded 600. Similarly, I then masked again in the same manner except it was almost the whole body side. Thus, the body was exposed from the hips down, same with front of body top. Applied topcoat and made sure there were no lines. Then I rolled the masking tape back about a quarter inch and applied clearcoat. Unfortunately, there was a tiny hole in the masking of the front door opening and some primer splashed onto the inside of the windshield. Had to polish it out. (aargh)

Needless to say, I masked the door opening from the inside out and masked the rest of the body.

For special interest, this is a pic of the real car in Opalescent Silver:

opalescentsilver3_zps11968742.jpg

Note the bonnet on the real car is just as hard to fit as on the model :D

Just a sideline, just about everybody does either British Racing Green or Pale Primrose. I wanted to be different.

Edited by tobaccoleafpie

• 1 year later...