Model Cars Magazine Forum

first semi ideas?

I would surgest you start with an AMT /ERTL truck first the revell kits are good but they can be a bit brittle and a bit fiddly . Early AMT rigs are a bit softer and easyer the instrutions are a bit vege but not to hard figure out . italiary kits have a gineric chassis / engines so they are not acurate but they are 1/24 not 1/25 like AMT and most revell trucks

Doobie

P/S your not related to the pelletier logging thats on TV are you :)

Edited by Doobie

I'd say get the AMT Peterbilt 352, but the re-issue from Round2 is not out yet.

That must have been the simplest kit I built this side of a snap kit for a truck.

The International Transtar 4300 gives very good results with nice features like a steering front axle that is quite simple to set-up

and sleeper doors that open. It also gives you the option to make a daycab or a sleepercab. I'd probably get that one first!

For the trailer, you have some options, you may want to start with a basic flabed, the easiest to build,

or the Fruehauf box trailer or if you are into logging trucks and want to combine 2 kits into one build, the Peerless logging which is simple enough too.

I have just ordered the new (re-release) AMT 1/25 White Western Star from Tower. I am new to trucks but have done a few aircraft over the years, recently some WWI stuff from Wingnuts here in NZ. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this AMT kit? I remember when I was growing up (in the 70's ) my mate and his brother had a few kits, couldn't tell you what they were now but I just know they were 'cool'. I can still picture them on display...

With the White Road Boss, the Western Star, the Diamond Reo just remember to install the hood before the cab.

That way you can adjust the fit between both by fidling with the cab mounts, you can't fit them together properly

the other way around even if the kit instructions tells you to do so.

It's just about the same rule of tumb for most other conventional (with hood, bonnet??...) truck kits.

Edited by BigBad

I'll also suggest the Revell Peterbilt and Kenworth kits, don't let the snap kit label put you off. These kits are cheap, go together well and have a lot more detail than most expect when they see snap kit.

The re-issued AMT kits are a good bargain, but as with any older kits there can be fit issues. The Ford C-600 and the Louisville are pretty painless, although you do have to fiddle with the hood on the Louisville to get it to fit right.

I'll also suggest the Revell Peterbilt and Kenworth kits, don't let the snap kit label put you off. These kits are cheap, go together well and have a lot more detail than most expect when they see snap kit.

I have to agree with Aaron, don't let the snap label put you off to the Pete or Kenworth from Revell. It has a full engine and almost as much detail as a glue kit. Here is my unfinished Pete with the Revell of Germany car hauler and it's load of mostly diecasts.

HPIM1526.jpg

G,day , geez i would have thought that the amt one's would have been the second one to go with . Because you have to make up the chassis first and if their not flat and square the whole trucks off . I'd go with the italeri truck as most of them already have the chassis done so he'd only have to build the rest around it .

G,day , geez i would have thought that the amt one's would have been the second one to go with . Because you have to make up the chassis first and if their not flat and square the whole trucks off . I'd go with the italeri truck as most of them already have the chassis done so he'd only have to build the rest around it .

You're right, but the AMT cost half what the Italeris go for... Besides, you have to be careful with the separate paneled cab. But they give great results completed. Edited by BigBad

• 2 weeks later...

im looking to add a semi to my collection.. i would like an idea for a good beginer semi. i dont want a snap kit though.

Chosen your subject yet? Another suggestion would be the AMT IH Transtar 4300, it goes together very well, has nice details, front wheels steer and gives good results. As far as trailers go, I think the Moebius reefer is going to look good right out of the box.