Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does it matter if you primer parts

It depends on several things:

1) How well prepped was the surface and how well is the primer adhered to the parts?

2) What kind of primer did you use ?

3) What kind of mold-release agent are you planning to use?

4) What kind of mold material are you planning to use?

For instance....I had problems making a polyester mold, using a polyvinyl-alcohol release agent over spraycan high-build primer. The mold material attacked the primer through the release agent and stuck to it..... big mess.

I had zero problems with catalyzed polyester primer, polyvinyl-alcohol release agent and a silicone mold material.

I know what works for me repeatedly from years of experimenting, but I don't apparently use the same materials most resin casters do, so I'll leave the 'expert' answers to them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Which mold rubber are you using? I doubt you will have issues, but remember that the mold rubber will capture even the finest of details, so if the primer finish has an orange peel texture, so will your molds, and eventually, the copied parts. It's always a good idea to polish your masters and get them as smooth as possible, regardless if they are primed, painted, or bare plastic. Ideally, all masters would be bare plastic, but sometimes that just can't be.

I do prefer a nice shiny part and a good coat of paint will do it. I have spent countless hours setting quietly polishing a part to prepare for the mold process. Especially the Cosma Ray bubbles and windshields in general. Did you know you can spray paint in a mold and after it dries you can pull a painted part from the mold? Pretty cool. I can make some pretty decent parts but I am a horrible painter and a horrible body man. I prefer to let someone in my club do major prep work for me. I don't consider sink holes a problem. There are too many other aspects of details on parts that are more important to me when I make a mold. I have seen parts that club members have paid a lot of money for that I would have thrown away. I suppose that not everything I make is perfectly perfect but I sure do try. Someone told me the Eleanor hood is high on one side and teeters. I checked my part to the master. They are exactly the same. I took some of the Smooth - On 300 resin I used to use and created a new mold with a hood that does not teeter. Hopefully it is a better part.