Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Razor saw?

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can someone explain/describe a razor saw? l have been using a Dremel, which melts more than cuts, & a hacksaw, which takes away more plastic than l can afford on my current project. How thin are the blades? Thanks, Bart.

Posted · Report post

The best place to start is to show you a bunch of pix of the things....

https://www.google.com/search?q=x-acto+razor+saw&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=KU7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=681dUIinDYqm9ATEqYDwDQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1517&bih=718

They look kinda like old straight-razors but are actually very fine-toothed and thin backsaws. The blade is about .010"-.012" thick, and as you see in the pix, they come in different blade depths.

They also come in different blade-tooth counts per-inch depending on what you're cutting.

You can open panels with not too-much material removal if you're careful, and the tip of the blade works very well for scoring panel lines, etc.

It's an absolutely necessary tool, and I guarantee you'll love what you can do with it.

Posted · Report post

The drawback to a traditional razor saw is that it can only make straight cuts. If you want to cut a curve you need to either use the back side of your Z-acto blade and "cut" by scribing, or use a mini saw with a very thin blade.

http://www.modelsandhobbies4u.com.au/tools/tools/mini-razor-saw.html

Posted · Report post

I find I rarely use the coarse razor saw blade I have, and instead use the fine tooth deep and shallower blades almost exclusively.

Another thing I wish I would've bought sooner are the photoetched saw blades which have the same tang size as the Xacto #11 blades, but are much narrower than the razor saw's blades:

mcg2238.jpg

Posted · Report post

Oh, I have to get me some of those small saw blades. I don't believe I have seen them before. Work good ? Hold up good ?

Posted · Report post

The PE saw blades work great for small cuts in tight places and for delicate work . Don't even think about making larger panel cuts , the blades are pretty flimsey and not designed for it .

Posted (edited) · Report post

The drawback to a traditional razor saw is that it can only make straight cuts. If you want to cut a curve you need to either use the back side of your Z-acto blade and "cut" by scribing, or use a mini saw with a very thin blade.

http://www.modelsand...-razor-saw.html

or jeweler's saw http://www.micromark.com/jewelers-saw,6747.html

Edited by southpier

Posted · Report post

Thanks, guys. This looks like exactly what l want. Now for the BIG ? Anyone have an old one with a couple blades they can get rid of? l'll put this in the wanted section also. Bart.

Posted · Report post

Thanks, guys. This looks like exactly what l want. Now for the BIG ? Anyone have an old one with a couple blades they can get rid of? l'll put this in the wanted section also. Bart.

Postage will be more than a new one....

Posted · Report post

Postage will be more than a new one....

......Takes a little over $40 in gas to go get one. l can handle postage, Thanks.

Posted · Report post

......Takes a little over $40 in gas to go get one. l can handle postage, Thanks.

Order it online and use $0 in gas.

Posted · Report post

Dude,get you a Micro-Mark catalogue.Or look them up on-line.But tread softly cause you 'll get hooked on tools like I did..