Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Ford LN dump truck/snow plow

Before my question I'll tell ya what I'm doing. I've got AMT's Ford dump truck/snow plow kit that I'm converting into a " lugger " truck...the kind you see at scrap yards that haul big boxes of junk...sorry, no pics yet. They have the hydraulic arms with chains to pick 'em up with, jack stands in the back for support when dumping, just a big ugly truck...well, the one I used to drive is!! LOL!!

I'm doing all of this by memory coz I don't have pics of the 1:1 truck. I worked at a scrap yard driving this beast for 5 bucks per hour! Thing of it is, this truck did NOT have a diesel or air brakes, so the kit engine won't work. The one I drove had some sort of big V-8 Ford motor-gas, and just regular brakes?! I guess my question is what big ( displacement ) Ford engine would you suggest I start with??? I've got pretty much everything else kind of figured out. When I get pics done, I'll post 'em.

Thanks for any help.

I work at a scrap yard and constantly work on lugger/roll offs, if you need good reference picture let me know :)

Heck yeah Jessie!! It's been years ago that I worked at that scrap-yard back in Iowa. Man, shots of the jack stands and hydraulic lines for the arms would be cool, heck, the whole lugger bed would be cool!! LOL!! Have you ever had a truck " stand up"

on you???? I remember being at the land fill a couple of times when the jacks sank in the ground while dumping...the truck stood darn near straight up!!! The guys in the bulldozers were laughing their butts off!!! I wasn't...I was hanging on for dear life!! Came back down when I reversed the controls. They told me they could have walked under the front tires without ducking!!!! :blink: :blink:

I see that the Ford Van from the 70's (the Vantim) is back out. This had a 351. You could add a little length between the bottom of the block and oil pan,as truck engines held a lot more motor oil (9 qts), that could sit there a little while and cool before going back thru engine. You could also add just a little between top of engine block and heads, as the pistons in a truck may have had a little more stroke (I use plastruct stripes, and like how fast they glue/stick). Finally, while I also am building from memory, I get the pix I need off of google under images, for how things will fit together.

Heck yeah Jessie!! It's been years ago that I worked at that scrap-yard back in Iowa. Man, shots of the jack stands and hydraulic lines for the arms would be cool, heck, the whole lugger bed would be cool!! LOL!! Have you ever had a truck " stand up"

on you???? I remember being at the land fill a couple of times when the jacks sank in the ground while dumping...the truck stood darn near straight up!!! The guys in the bulldozers were laughing their butts off!!! I wasn't...I was hanging on for dear life!! Came back down when I reversed the controls. They told me they could have walked under the front tires without ducking!!!! :blink: :blink:

I haven't seen it happen (ground is fairly firm in our yard) I will try to snap a bunch of pics tomorrow, I love the rear jacks they are a make tires changes alot easier ( I only weigh 110lbs lol)

I haven't seen it happen (ground is fairly firm in our yard) I will try to snap a bunch of pics tomorrow, I love the rear jacks they are a make tires changes alot easier ( I only weigh 110lbs lol)

Man, let me know, I'll pm ya' my e-mail!! That does make it easier to change the tires!!!! I kind of miss driving that truck...it was FAST!!!! Hydraulics were quick, dumping went fast, I drove it like a bat outta hell!! It was only a six speed, but I used to jam that puppy!!! My load limit was 15 tons...any more and the front tires liked to "skip" around and bounce off the pavement!! LOL!!

Depending on the age of the truck you have a few choices for the engine. The 401/477/534 found in the C series could be used, but is probably not the best choice for a truck without airbrakes, as those were found in the top end (800/900) series trucks which would usually have air brakes.

You are probably looking at more of a medium duty 600/700 series truck. A 361 or 390 FE V8 would be standard through the late 70s. I'm sure these engines are fairly easily found in late 60s early 70s Ford car kits, although you might have to make minor modifications for use in a truck.

The late 70s through '96 models could be found with a 370, 429 or 460 385-V8 which can be found in the late 80s Ford F250 and F350 kits. In the early 80s the 401/477/534 was killed off leaving the 429 / 460 as the only option for a gas engine in a Ford medium duty truck.