Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Teal chopper completed

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I started with the Revell Aces Wild kit and changed a few things. It's painted in HOK light teal pearl. The seat is covered in real leather.

100_4936_zps225f632a.jpg

100_4935_zps55329690.jpg

100_4934_zps0aadbc4d.jpg

100_4933_zps9f636839.jpg

Posted · Report post

Very nice! Clean & SHINY! lt looks like it rides a bit high? Maybe a bit more rake, but could be just my tastes. l really like that color for a scoot. l wouldn't have thought of it, but it looks sweet. What did you use for leather? l have a 1:25 l need to fab a seat for, wondering lf what you used might work? Tasty work! Bart.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you, Bart. The clear stand keeps it up a tad high. You can see that the kickstand isn't touching the ground. Marcia had an old purse she was going to toss in the garbage. I saved it for a better purpose. You have to take a razor blade and shave the inside of the leather to get it thinner. There's a name for the process, but I don't know it.

The front end was out even more and I didn't like it so I cut back the tubes - their aluminum tubing. And guess what? I put springs inside the tubes so the front end moves up & down.

You ever going to send those better engraved Lynx air filters? I have a box loaded up with rat seats, nailhead, BB Chevy, and some other casted parts.

Edited by crazyjim

Posted · Report post

Marcia had an old purse she was going to toss in the garbage. I saved it for a better purpose. You have to take a razor blade and shave the inside of the leather to get it thinner. There's a name for the process, but I don't know it.

Skiving.

Bike looks great, nice detail! But there's not much meat left on that front tube... :blink:

Posted · Report post

Ahhh. Skiving. That's the ticket.

Thanks, Harry. I don't what you mean about "not much meat of the front tube". The lowers should have probably been another size larger? If yes, I agree.

Posted · Report post

That's reeeally nice ! The color contrasts nicely with the chrome .

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Harry. I don't what you mean about "not much meat of the front tube". The lowers should have probably been another size larger? If yes, I agree.

It looks like you drilled a bunch of holes in the forward downtube, and there's almost nothing left of the tube, there's just a little sliver of tube left around the holes... the holes are almost the same diameter as the tube. In real life that would be a no-no. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me...

Posted · Report post

Also... and this might be considered nit-picking... but the way the seat is angled, the rider would basically be sitting up against the rear fender... not too comfy on the ol' tailbone!

Maybe you could work up a seat that has a little bit of a back rest or flips up a bit in the back so the rider wouldn't have his backside up against the fender.

Posted · Report post

You did a very nice job on this bike. I must agree on the seat however. Needs a bit of a back rest. IMO

Posted · Report post

That's reeeally nice ! The color contrasts nicely with the chrome .

Thanks, Bob. I like that teal color.

Posted · Report post

It looks like you drilled a bunch of holes in the forward downtube, and there's almost nothing left of the tube, there's just a little sliver of tube left around the holes... the holes are almost the same diameter as the tube. In real life that would be a no-no. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me...

Gotcha, Harry. The kit had 2 downtubes. I cut them off and replaced with a single piece that I drilled the holes in. I originally used a larger diameter rod, but I didn't like the way it looked, so I went smaller.

Posted · Report post

Also... and this might be considered nit-picking... but the way the seat is angled, the rider would basically be sitting up against the rear fender... not too comfy on the ol' tailbone!

Maybe you could work up a seat that has a little bit of a back rest or flips up a bit in the back so the rider wouldn't have his backside up against the fender.

The seat actually has a small kick up at the rear. You kinda see it in the 3rd & 4th pics. It started much higher and just kept getting lower and lower until I liked it.

Posted · Report post

You did a very nice job on this bike. I must agree on the seat however. Needs a bit of a back rest. IMO

Thank you, Ray. The seat isn't glued down, so maybe I'll take another look at something different. Maybe drill a hole and make a separate back pad. Sort of like a headrest.

Posted · Report post

Thank you, Ray. The seat isn't glued down, so maybe I'll take another look at something different. Maybe drill a hole and make a separate back pad. Sort of like a headrest.

That would work... a little pad mounted on the rear fender.

Posted · Report post

I made a small pad with wires glued to the seat bottom. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Looks good Jim.

Nice colour for sure and really like all the custom work you done,in particular like how you inset the tail-lights into the rear fender.

Edited by Cool Hand

Posted · Report post

Thank you, Luke. Those Revell bikes are fun to build.

Yep,they sure are Jim.

I try to build a couple or more each year.As its good to have a break from the cars every now and then.

Edited by Cool Hand

Posted · Report post

I added a backrest to the seat.

100_4938_zps6cc447d6.jpg

100_4937_zps7947129c.jpg

Posted · Report post

Now you're talking! Well done.

Posted · Report post

Yeah baby yeah!

G

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Harry. Glad you like it.

Posted · Report post

Motorcycle backrests and detailing hubcaps. Nothing to it, is there G? June 2012 -Vegas with the Moms.

Posted · Report post

Love the color.

Posted · Report post

Thank you, Luis. Those bikes are a fun build.