Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR Stinger (a little experiment)

DaytonaTim

I just wanted to share a little experiment...... I named it the Stinger ....I did not post any of the build up pictures of this model because I was not sure I would be able to pull it off.

I wanted to experiment with radically modifying an existing car body. So I started with a 1964 Corvette computer model and I started mashing and squashing it in the computer. I tapered both the front and rear ends and then I put a 3 inch chop in the top.

Then I designed the front and rear wheel brake scoops to give me a nice finished look on the inside part of the wheel. Then I integrated the suspension points into scoops too.

For paint I decided I wanted some wild orange color so I went to Walmart and bought some wild fingernail polish and used it. I have never shot fingernail polish before and I had to do a lot of trial and error. I wound up stripping the car twice before I got something I liked.

To do the glass I just stuck some tape onto the windows and traced out the outline of the window. Then I stuck the tape on some blank decal paper I had painted black. I cut out the decals and stuck them in place.

All the steps I outlined above was brand new to me.....like I said....a little experiment.

Below you will find some pics. Sure would like to hear what you think about the little "Stinger"

Thanks

Tim

TDR Innovations

Finished2-vi.jpg

Finished3-vi.jpg

finished4-vi.jpg

Finished5_-vi.jpg

FrontSusp1-vi.jpg

RearSusp1-vi.jpg

These are some pictures of the raw parts.

RawWheelVents-vi.jpg

Rawbody1-vi.jpg

The little "bumps" you see in the suspension areas are heavy guides that provide proper alignment for the suspension arms and drive shafts.

The angle of these guides line up exactly with the angle of the holes in the wheel covers. So when you get all the suspension members stuck in place the wheel cover is almost perfectly alighed to where it should be.

Rawbodyunderside-vi.jpg

Edited by DaytonaTim

I don't know that the wheels need to come forward, as much as that there should be less car between the tires and the door, like the back light should be between the wheels. And the wheels should locate just behind the door. And an equal amount should be taken out between the door and the front wheels.

I REALY like the brake scoops !!! Those are cool !

Edited by moparmagiclives

GREAT DESIGN!!!

Love the body but it looks to me like the rear wheels might be a little too far to the rear

That side picture makes the tires look like they are farther toward the ends of the car than they really are.

I did move the front and rear tires closer to the ends of the car some though. I wanted to get that long and low look.

Very cool & interesting, B). What scale is it Tim?

I get a lot of questions in my travels about the differences between the early TDR stuff and the newer UD & FUD materials..........

You might want to let the viewers (especially the guys that aren't familiar with RP) know what flavor material it was printed in and what you had to do in the way of prep before painting.

Thanks for the kind words guys. This is my first attempt at something custom and it does not come easy to me.

This model will be available very soon on our website. I am in the process of printing out a 1/32 version of it to verify the model will print out at Shapeways. Onece the 1/32 scale is printed we will offer the Stinger in all scales, from 1/32 to 1/8.

Yes the wheel scoops will be available separately for anybody that wants to use them on something else.