Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nascar Kits

hooterville75

After doing some extensive research on Nascar Scale model kits, it appears that one could build entirely all Nascar kits and have enough options available to build these kits the rest of his life. The amount of different kits produced by the different manufactures on each driver just goes on and on forever. I counted around 17 different kits that are available for just Dale Earnhardt himself on ebay. Sitting here wondering just how many different Nascar kits exist in scale model building ha ha.

Awesome. I have several friends that are current employees of a Nascar team. A friend Danny Jones that used to race Sprint Cars in Central PA works in the Fabrication shop for Hendrick Motorsports in the #48 stables. He builds rear ends currently. Another friend that I've lost touch with since he moved to North Carolina Sean Kerlin from Marysville, PA the last I spoke with him was working as an Interior Man for Hendrick Motorsports as well but heard he is now with the Aarons team. Nascar is a all so famous series. I myself racing wise am more of a F1, IRL fan but am still an avid Nascar fan as well.

I thought that there are not so many NASCAR kits before I visited Daytona Racing Souvenirs & Hobbies right next to the Daytona Speedway. There were maybe hundred(s) of different NASCAR kits. :blink: I was in trouble: Which one to buy. :lol: Oh and I'm really NASCAR and Jeff Gordon fan, it's a shame that we don't have NASCAR here in Finland.

Edited by W-409

Yep, it's rare engine in here. But there are a few cars with 409 engines, and they are great. It's absolutely one of my favorite engines, even the look of it is beautiful, but W-Blocks were great engines in Drag Racing on the early 60's. That's why I decided to hide my name behind the "W-409". :lol:

I've built one or two NASCAR kits over the years. :rolleyes:

mr01-vi.jpg

This is a photo of the display shelves in my model room when we lived in SoCal. The bottom 6 shelves are 100% NASCAR models.

kits-vi.jpg

This is "unbuilt kit storage" right after we moved to TN. 3/4 of that lower half are all NASCAR kits.

I don't have a decent photo of my current shelving but I have 144 built NASCAR models, the majority of which are the well known Revell/Monogram variety. (And I probably have 100 or more unbuilt kits out in the garage)

I say this not to brag but to bring up the point of the original poster which is the wide variety of NASCAR models that are available. (At least until recently)

What is also interesting is the declining value of those kits. There was a time when a few them, like Monogram's early UNO Buick and Piedmont Chevrolet, were worth quite a bit of money. As much as $80.00. Today I see most of the NASCAR kits on eBay asking anywhere from $4.00 to $10.00 and going unsold at those prices!

If I didn't have so many already, this is would be a really good time to stock up! :lol:

They go for that low of a price but what you need to key in on is the $25 shipping tag that comes with them which is why a bunch of us call it Evilbay. Charge the actual shipping price dont inflate it to an outrageous amount. If you want more for your kit put a higher starting bid on it. Not saying you do this, just saying in general.

They go for that low of a price but what you need to key in on is the $25 shipping tag that comes with them which is why a bunch of us call it Evilbay. Charge the actual shipping price dont inflate it to an outrageous amount. If you want more for your kit put a higher starting bid on it. Not saying you do this, just saying in general.

They do that to save the fees...

I know what you mean, I currently have 215 built nascars, 1981 to COTs. I have another 576 to build, that is not including about 75 1970 to 1980 kits, which are mostly Model King and MPC and a few original AMTs and MPCs along with the reissued AMT Monte Carlo and Chevelle. it keeps me out of trouble. In addition to that, I have approximately 400 other kits, annuals, Drag cars, and customs. So i will be busy for a while

Ron

The last kit I sold on eBay I charged $9.50 for shipping. The post office charged me $11.25! The next time I decide to sell something the shipping charge will be $12.00! :lol:

The last kit I sold on eBay I charged $9.50 for shipping. The post office charged me $11.25! The next time I decide to sell something the shipping charge will be $12.00! :lol:

What I find sad is

One, I get kits shipped from Japan for $14

Two, the difference in shipping cost for a model kit, I see shipping range for $6 and up , all for the normal size model box

I seem to care more about the shipping cost then I do the cost of the kit

Which is rediculous because you can send a model kit flat rate parcel priority mail for $5 to $8. Im good with that but when they charge $15 or higher for a model to ship anywhere from the lower 48 to another of the 48 its rediculous. I can have 20 bottles of Vallejo Model Air shipped to me from Canada for $20 yet a kit from another state in the US $22.50 pffffffffffffffft, Ive started sorting the sellers on ebay out lol. I also try to buy multiple that way shipping is combined and more legit.