Model Cars Magazine Forum

Norm,Woo, Woo, Grabowski

Not sure if everyone is aware, by Norm is having health issues. I found this on the HAMB:

"Hello, this is Norm's niece, Mary, logging on to post an update on my Uncle Norm. He had me set this up and I've been able to read posts to him but not reply. So, hope this works. He's been living with us since his hospital stay in St. Louis last May. As of Thursday, Sept 13, he is in the hospital from major complications involving his feeding tube and he got a bad infection from something going wrong with the placement of the tube. So he is getting the care he needs to pull through it. Will keep you posted on how he is doing. Also, with his consent, we set up a Facebook page for him so people could keep in touch, post photos and comments. Look for Norm Grabowski. We read them to him and he will reply by us keying it in. He is not technology friendly, LOL

He does enjoy hearing from everyone and really misses talking, but especially misses eating. Thank you for your support...."

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705456&page=6

Hello......I was very saddened when I found this thread about Norm.......I wish him the very best and to get well soon........I first met Norm when I was kid around 7 or 8 years old.......he came into my fathers shop and wanted a bike built......."Wow" what a bike.......this is the original cover of my fathers 1st motorcycle catalog that he put out......my fathers shop was called D&D Distributors back in the 60`s.......on the cover is my fathers "Italiano" buick drag bike......some of you might have seen a replica model that I made of this bike?.......on the back cover is Norm Garbowski with his Corvair six pack bike.....one of my jobs at my fathers shop was to clean and polish the finished bikes.....it was so cool to have had my little hands all over this bike........My fathers D&D Distributors shop evolved into "Jammer Cycle Product`s" and Easyriders magazine........Norm I wish you the best........John

DSCF4432_zps9b9f5346.jpg

DSCF4436_zpsc71a0c37.jpg

DSCF4437_zps50b81bdc.jpg

DSCF4439_zpsaa473a90.jpg

DSCF4441_zpsd2ba8c6c.jpg

DSCF4443_zpsd58b65df.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure, but I think Norm's claim to fame came with "77 Sunset Strip" and the Cookie T-bucket.

Thanks for the link Greg.

To be more precise, Norm built what later became known as the "Kookie T". That car is considered to be the first ever T-bucket. It used a '22 T body and a shortened Model A pick-up bed. When Tommy Ivo saw it at the drags he wanted one too and took several measurements from it to build his own. Both cars became famous. It was later that Norm's T was used in the opening scene for the TV show "77 Sunset Strip" driven by the show's character named "Kookie". And that's how the car got it's name.

So yet another hot rodding icon is gone.

The car on that show opened the door for him to get into show business. He has quite a long list of shows and movies he was in over the years. I really liked his character in Hooper!

Godspeed Norm Grabrowski

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Johnny

Is the TV show still available to be seen? I have never seen it and it sounds interesting.

Google it and you can find episodes online. I believe it is still being run on MeTV right now on Sunday nights.