Model Cars Magazine Forum

Specific Need Clear Coat

I need to clear coat this body. The gold is lacquer, the ivory is enamel. I got all set up to use Testors Spray Lacquer clear when I read the tiny print which says "do not spray on high luster silver, gold, copper..." etc. From your own experience, what readily available rattle can clear do you recommend and why, and don't say Tamiya, its existence is mere legend and has never been spotted. Thanks folks.

Gold2.jpg

I bought this a week ago at the auto parts store and it might be worth trying . I've done " Spoon " tests over lots of different paints and it hasn't affected any of them . I don't have any Alcad but I sprayed it on Spaz - Stix and it stayed bright and shiney ! It sprays very evenly and goes on very thin , it requires two coats for a nice shine .

000_0001_zps0e88adca.jpg

I have found that the high gloss enamal will yellow wjite paint, so I am not sure how close you want the ivory to look, it may darken up a bit if you choose that.

All of you guys, I'm really grateful for all your insights. Valid stuff.

I know what you mean Kevin. Years ago I used Testers clear enamel that really yellowed bad. I was kind of hoping that would've been resolved by 2012, it's also why I hoped lacquer would be the way to go. If Testers lacquer is too hot, then automotive lacquer will really be harsh.

ACE - that's it exactly. The gold (and interior treatment) is inspired by Oldsmobile's contribution to the mix with the '54 F-88.

Sean and MAGNUM, I think you might be right on the two part urethane but it's more involved than I care to get on this project. Future I'm not comfortable with yet. I didn't like the results I got last time. Operator error I'm sure.

Casey and Bob, I'm inclined to go in your direction. Bob I appreciate you sharing the results of your tests.

Just a follow up... Krylon clear is becoming scarce so tonight I cleared with Rustoleum Clear Enamel. It wasn't the automotive line but I'd be surprised if there was much difference.

Result: "No runs, no drips, no errors." No luster conflict and no reaction to either lacquer or enamel. Doesn't bring any life to brush painted silver though. I'm in business boys, thanks again.