Model Cars Magazine Forum

New resin tire coming soon; BF Goodrich Radial T/A | Released on Oct 18

Hey folks,

I have finished up a new tire master and it will go into production soon. This time it's a BF Goodrich Radial T/A in 1/24 scale. Like the Eagle GT I made earlier this year, this new tire is based on the 235/60R-15 size that is common for a wide range of musclecars from the 70's and 80's. The master was made from lathe-turned plastic with photoetched tread and sidewall lettering. The production pieces will be cast in white resin, which means you just have to paint the tire black and then lightly sand the sidewalls to reveal the white letters.

BFGRTAcomp_zpse5935db6.jpg

Now, I have a question for you: I know some people like the rear tires on their hot rods to be steam-roller wide, like a 295/50. I can make something like that fairly easily to match this narrower tire. Would there be much interest in a big & little setup like that?

Thanks for looking!

Joseph

Edited by Chief Joseph

My compliments on the tires. I can't even fathom how you did that P/E tread, but it's good to know I'll finally have some BFGs to put on my street machines. Once we've been given all the necessary ordering information, I'll be buying mine in sets of 4 same-sized tires.

Quick hijack: What paint are you guys going to use on these tires? I've got an airbrush so I can shoot about anything. I think the military guys like Tamiya's acrylic NATO Black for tires, but I'm wondering if Testors Semi-Gloss black enamel might look more like a street tire that had been Armor-Alled about a month before. Hmmmm...

My compliments on the tires. I can't even fathom how you did that P/E tread, but it's good to know I'll finally have some BFGs to put on my street machines. Once we've been given all the necessary ordering information, I'll be buying mine in sets of 4 same-sized tires.

Quick hijack: What paint are you guys going to use on these tires? I've got an airbrush so I can shoot about anything. I think the military guys like Tamiya's acrylic NATO Black for tires, but I'm wondering if Testors Semi-Gloss black enamel might look more like a street tire that had been Armor-Alled about a month before. Hmmmm...

I've used Humbrol Tarmac , Semi Gloss Enamel , Humbrol Semi Gloss (Satan) Black on plastic tires . Thanx ..

Joseph, Some polytek PT 50 and a little black dye in a well made mold would make some fabulous copies. Those are some really beautiful tires. Great work! I am suggesting that you do them in a rubbery type resin.

http://www.polytek.c...category_id=399

Even though it cures out of the bottle in a gold transparent color, It can be easily tinted black like a real tire. Yes, It is not cheap either. Those masters you made just knock my socks off!!! I found out that if you have a good laser printer and the kit from Decal Pro that will create etching for electronic projects you can make your own photo etch parts.

http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/Vertical/3_LIBRARY/3c_Other_Uses/4_Milling.html

Greg

Edited by Greg Wann

I am suggesting that you do them in a rubbery type resin.

The production pieces will be cast in white resin, which means you just have to paint the tire black and then lightly sand the sidewalls to reveal the white letters.

This is why I like Joseph's tires. The raised letters on the sidewall look more realistic when you paint the tire, then sand off the top face of the lettering to reveal the white underneath. Casting them in black would not achieve the same effect.

Joseph, I think a set to fit 15x8 and 15x10 wheels would be perfect, as that's a common pairing for older cars/trucks with aftermarket wheels. A P295/50R15 size should be perfect.

Just as important as the sizes, what wheels will fit these tires? I have bought some resin tires only to struggle to find wheels that will fit them or go with the theme of the kit I am building.

Very interested in the size you list (235/60/15) as well as some large rears for some street rod projects.

Let us know when these will be available to order!

Thank you for the feedback. I think I'll do the wider tire to supplement this one. I honestly do not like tires made in urethane rubber, but I'll make them since others do like them and want them :) The cost will be somewhat higher for rubber tires, though. And for hand-painting the white letters, you are on your own. I like just sanding off the black paint to get white letters, myself.

These tires are nominally sized to fit the wheels in Monogram/Revell included kits with the "Goodyear GT Radial" vinyl tires. Not all of those wheels are made the same, though. I've found that some of those different wheel faces need to be trimmed a little around their circumference to fit properly. 1/25 scale wheels can also be used by wrapping a layer or two of tape around the wheel circumference to make up for the small gap. Rubber tires will be a little more forgiving with different wheels.

My favorite tire paint is Wicked Colors Detail Smoke, which is almost black, dark bluish-gray. It's available at Hobby Lobby. NATO Black or Aircraft Interior Black are both good choices, too.

It will take another week or two to get the wider tire made and start the molding. Prices and such will be available on my website at www.fireballmodels.info. I will also sell sets through emodelcars.com, too.

Here's something else I have been working on:

RTwheels_zps9521d7a1.jpg

These are 20" wheels for the 1/25 AMT Challenger RT. The kit wheels were 18" (duh) so I remade the kit's Heritage wheel to the correct size and while I was at it, I scratchbuilt the Envy wheel that is on the 2011-up RT cars. I am still working on the proper 20" Goodyear F1 tire to go with these wheels.

The only problem I see is, a tire molded in white - painted black , how would a builder replicate a used tread surface ? essentially to make it look , used ?

Easy, just drybrush the tread. I have also airbrushed a lighter shade across the tread, then applied a wash to the tread to make the pattern pop. Military modelers have these techniques down to a science.

Very nice work, Joseph!

I'm definitely on the white resin side of the fence. Knocking the black off the letters works very well. I'd be a happy camper if the kit companies adopted this practice, too.

I think a 275-60 would be great to have along with the 235.

Again, nice, clean work. I look forward to seeing some cast and painted pieces mocked up on a car.