Model Cars Magazine Forum

New resin tire coming soon; BF Goodrich Radial T/A | Released on Oct 18

Easy, just drybrush the tread. I have also airbrushed a lighter shade across the tread, then applied a wash to the tread to make the pattern pop. Military modelers have these techniques down to a science.

I love these! I will definitely be grabbing up a couple sets. Another way to make the tread surface look used could be to paint them thick, then lightly scuff with 3000 grit. The heavy paint would fill the gaps lightly and give the impression of a heavily used tire. ;)

Multiple sets here!(295/50's) Traction bars get ready!!! All fender flares report to battle stations!!!

Keep that ratio small, a true 50 will be sweet. If you err/engineer on the side of small, you'll catch a lot of the "smaller" wheels and if needed, it won't be to hard to open up the tire a little to fit the "normal" size wheels.

Edited by angrydawg

I finished the fat version of the BFG T/A this afternoon. Waiting on a shipment of Smooth-On items to start the molds, and I anticipate getting things into production early next week. But I'll be out of town for a whole week right in the middle of the month, so my production will be sort of slow. When I figure out the pricing and packaging options, I'll post all the information on my website.

Thanks for your continued interest in this project!

I have started production on these tires, both in hard white resin and flexible black rubber:

Fireball_BFG_zps3237bea8.jpg

I want to build up a good stock before I start selling them, so please bear with me. The rubber version is very slow to produce due to the cure time of the material.

Thanks,

Joseph

I have a whole bunch of sets made up now, mostly the white resin. They will be packaged in sets of two, so that you may get two sets of the 235's or a set of 235's for fronts and 295's for rears. Here are some photos of a painted production rubber 295 on the rear of my perpetual project Buick GN:

th_profile_5_zpsd3ee2b54.jpg

th_profile_4_zps76062363.jpg

th_profile_3_zpsa3d09332.jpg

th_profile_2_zps0e0b2225.jpg

th_profile_1_zps2da0b263.jpg

You can monkey around with the backspacing on the wheels to get the look you want.

I painted the white letters on the rubber version by hand with an 00 brush and Liquitex acrylic white:

th_Rubber_close_zps6fcf2ecb.jpg

Since these tires are real rubber, the paint doesn't want to stick. There are some urethane adhesion promoters available, and just cleaning the part with acetone will help a lot. For this tire, I didn't do anything other than wash it with dishwashing liquid, just because I wanted to see how well it holds up over time.

This is the hard white resin version, painted with Wicked Colors Smoke Black and the white letters revealed by gently sanding:

th_Resin_close_zps724123cc.jpg

With these white resin tires, it's WAY easier to get the white letters practically perfect. I did not prime this tire casting, but I would suggest priming it them with Tamiya Fine White Surface primer to help with paint adhesion. I actually always suggest priming resin parts, so this case is no different.

Here's how it breaks down:

Rubber Tires

PRO: flexible, so they will accommodate different wheels without a lot of hassle.

CON: flexible, so paint doesn't stick too well and since they are very abrasion-resistant, the tread is sort of hard to scuff.

Resin Tires

PRO: easy to paint, and a wide range of painting techniques and products may be used.

CON: somewhat fiddly to get some wheels to fit perfectly and some sanding of the wheel or the inner diameter of the tire may be required.

Well, I hope this answers questions some of you may have. I expect to put ordering information on my website next Thursday, October 18.

Thanks for your interest,

Joseph

Any idea of pricing on those tires? I'm looking forward to a few pairs of bigs and littles, and wanna make sure I can swing it.

I expect to put ordering information on my website next Thursday, October 18.

You will be able to swing it, Dave. Joseph's tires are worth it. :wub: