Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carrera GT

FordGuy1984

Finished this one a few months ago. It is painted with Tamiya TS-17, interior is MM leather and chrome silver and the floor mats are flocked.. Scratch built the rear suspension and sway bar linkages (this is the only time I have seen one of these with sway bar linkages but I am sure someone else has taken the time to do it). Add ons include a Studio 27 PE set, Scale Motorsports PE set and a lot of carbon fiber decals.post-10517-0-70577800-1348701361_thumb.jpost-10517-0-20255400-1348701376_thumb.jpost-10517-0-04132700-1348701389_thumb.jpost-10517-0-27901600-1348701404_thumb.jpost-10517-0-60229300-1348701413_thumb.jpost-10517-0-18240500-1348701426_thumb.jpost-10517-0-38760200-1348701438_thumb.jpost-10517-0-13747900-1348701451_thumb.jpost-10517-0-33327800-1348701463_thumb.j

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I wanted to build a show winner but didn't quite hit that mark but it is still my best work to date.

Joe, I used parts from both of the PE kits. The Scale Motorsports kit had a lot more parts in it and most. Each kit had parts that the other one didn't have. If you only want to buy one kit I would suggest the SMS kit but it was about 45 bucks compared to the Studio 27 that was 15.

I have had my eye on the Gembella Mirage GT transfer kit for this kit so maybe I will be building another one.

Joe, I used parts from both of the PE kits. The Scale Motorsports kit had a lot more parts in it and most. Each kit had parts that the other one didn't have. If you only want to buy one kit I would suggest the SMS kit but it was about 45 bucks compared to the Studio 27 that was 15.

Did you run into any trouble with the engine lid?

Not any issue with it necessarily. I'm assuming you are talking about it not ring closed all the way in the photos. It was a snug fit without any paint and my paint ended up a little thicker than I anticipated. It will close all the way if I push it down but then it's nerve racking to get it open again without scratching the paint. No biggie as I have it in a display case with the cover propped open anyways. I would suggest that if you are going to build one to do some sanding on the body where the cover sits in to allow a little more clearance if you want the cover to open and close easier.

Not any issue with it necessarily. I'm assuming you are talking about it not ring closed all the way in the photos. It was a snug fit without any paint and my paint ended up a little thicker than I anticipated. It will close all the way if I push it down but then it's nerve racking to get it open again without scratching the paint. No biggie as I have it in a display case with the cover propped open anyways. I would suggest that if you are going to build one to do some sanding on the body where the cover sits in to allow a little more clearance if you want the cover to open and close easier.

thank you for the tip,

joe.

That's a lovely model of the GT there Grant. I think the PE detail really adds to what is already a very good kit. It's hard to see in the pics, but how did you tackle the two mesh inserts on the engine cover? Is it a PE mesh or is it the kit 'glass' item? I must admit that this has been the stalling pont on my build of this kit.

It is actually pretty easy to do. I installed the glass into the cover and then put a couple small dabs of CA glue on the mesh (think of the center of the cover and put one dab of glue on the center side near the cockpit and one near the rear of the car, hope that makes sense) and then after that dried I put a few more dabs of glue working my way to the other side of the mesh, forming it to the contour of the glass as I went. I used the mesh on that piece from the Studio 27 kit, it was pre cut is why I used it but it would not keep the form of the glass on its own. I'm not sure if the mesh you are using will form or not. If it does then I would just lay it over the glass and take a round handled paint brush and roll it across the mesh pushing downward in order to get it to reshape to the contour of the glass. Hope that makes sense. Also, after I did all that I made some templates out of tape and got some old cigarette packs, used the foil out of them and glued them with window glue to the under side of that cover. The 1:1 car does not have heat shielding there but since I wanted to display it with the cover open I wanted a cleaner look to the underside of it.