Model Cars Magazine Forum

You copy rubber duck 10/4 comon

Nice lookin RD! You got it just right good start on that trailer too. While I haven't noticed in the movie and I'll assume the model is correct, why would someone install the fifth wheel so far back? Doesn't it unbalance the load on the rear axles?

Nice lookin RD! You got it just right good start on that trailer too. While I haven't noticed in the movie and I'll assume the model is correct, why would someone install the fifth wheel so far back? Doesn't it unbalance the load on the rear axles?

Hi big bad I really dont know why the 5th wheel is so high and far back. I can only think that its becuse the trailer is an old tar trailer . I have tryed to make the Mack as correct as possible but there was 4or5 different trucks used . The trailer in the film was striped out for liteness so the truck looked faster than it would if were full.

Doobie

Thanks for posting extra pics, I like how you're going about building the trailer, very cool. I've got the full AIM RD kit, just got to get it built. It's posted here somewhere on the forum, just can't find it though.

Your welcome Phil the AIM cab and hood is ok but i found that it was very thick and my cab was very warped and unuseable

Thats why i made it fit the Ertl cab . I had to remove about 3mm from the middle of the hood to narrow it and then i spent about 2 days thining out the resin from the inside as it was 4/5mm thick.

The trailer is on hold at the moment it needs some more shaping to get it right.

Doobie

Edited by Doobie

While I haven't noticed in the movie and I'll assume the model is correct, why would someone install the fifth wheel so far back? Doesn't it unbalance the load on the rear axles?

I can chime in here.... I haven't seen the movie in years but I did find some good stills from it... This model is correct. In the movie, the 5th wheel is in the rear position. The wheel is a hi-mount because of the design of the old trailer. Usually, when they move the connection back on the tractor it's because of clearance issues between the back of the tractor chassis and the landing gears on the trailers. The first time I pulled a dropdeck van trailer, I had to slide my 5th-wheel back almost a foot from where I usually have it...(Thank the Maker it was a sliding and not fixed wheel...) it was either that or remove my tractors mudflaps... If you look at stills from the movie, it looks like, if the 5th was in the normal position, the rear of the tractor chassis would get fouled in the trailers landing gear assembly... As far as unbalancing the load, My truck rode a little different but still 'scaled' under weight because I wasn't anywhere near gross. Maybe the trailer in the movie was empty?

As for the model, Doobie, Well Done! I want to build one of these someday and I hope mine turns out half as nice!

EDIT: This got me thinking so I just finished watching the movie on YouTube... I don't think it would have fouled the landing gears but maybe the frame of the trailer itself? Either that or it just looks good... Well, it is what it is...

Edited by Wagoneer81

When i look at this all I think of is the song I like it great job

Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June

In a Kenworth pullin' logs

Cab over Pete with a reefer on

And a Jimmy haulin' hogs

We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh

'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town

I says, "Pig Pen, this here's Rubber Duck.

And I'm about to put the hammer down."

• 2 years later...

I always thought of this, about the 5th wheel being behind the pivot of the tandem. I was only like 7 maybe when this first came out and I thought it was 'weird' then. I knew that it would take weight off of the front end, and make it dangerous if the truck had to turn on rain or snow. I've never seen it before except in this, a "Holly Wood" film? I figured the trailer was either empty (for the movie) or that nitromannite was a "light gas" and had hardly any weight??? Who knows. But there are videos on youtube from the show and that is "correct" placement. This is a real "Rubber Duck" truck look-a-like except missing the brush guard, but this thing can take corners like a sports car (with an empty trailer I'm sure).

This is a very cool music video and you can see that the trailer WAS that far back

Here are some pictures of my Rubber Duck (it's not as 'correct' as MCM Ohana's truck tho!) https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112620524923987400441/albums/6145608448363563393

Hope to see that trailer when it's done!