Model Cars Magazine Forum

start em young!

That's the way, Bill. I remember, I started as six years old little boy, first kit was '60 Starliner. Now, about nine years later, I'm still building and haven't had any breaks on building.

I managed to get my father back in the hobby too, his latest completed builds were done on the 90's, but now he has completed already a few builds, and more to come. I also managed to get my little sister in building models, she's 12 years old now, and building Revell's new '60 Impala. Of course for Factory Stock look without those ugly big wheels what come with the kit. B)

It's fun to build together with someone.

Edited by W-409

Those Athearn freight cars are a great starting point. I wish they still made the kits, and made them here, though.

I still have trouble with those ladders...

What's your hobby shop of choice, Bill? When I lived in New Bedford, I would patronize both Apponaug Hobby and AA Hobbies, plus the guy in Newport.

Charlie Larkin

I guarantee you, that little caboose means more to him than any of us will ever know. That's so awesome that he built it so well and enjoyed it. I'm sure my first models would be horrible compared to what I can do today but I remember being so proud that I built them all by myself. That's a great sense of accomplishment for a young person!

Very cool. My dad started me building models at 7, and 48 yrs later I'm still at it. It's up to all of us to encourage the young ones to get into in our wonderful hobby. No matter wether it's trains,planes,military, or cars. I enjoyed teaching my son when he was young, now that he's married I'm looking forward to hopefully teaching future grandchildren. :D

Edited by 58 Impala

It's great to see young kids getting into building ANYTHING. Humans are builders by nature, and one of the primary things that distinguishes us from other creatures on Earth is the diversity and complexity of what we build. One of my most fervent beliefs, from personal experience, is that model-building, while fun and entertaining, has the power to be a fantastic teaching tool as well. Building car and train and airplane models as a kid sparked an interest in me to find out how things worked and why, and that led to a career that has kept food on the table and the lights on all of my life. I'll always be grateful that I was introduced to building early.

I really can't say enough about how valuable an early-life experience model building can be. Besides appealing to and enhancing the natural curiosity that most children seem to come equipped with, it teaches eye-hand coordination, develops fine motor-control skills, familiarizes young people with the correct use of tools (and tool safety), lets them express creativity and experience the pride of individual accomplishment, enhances the ability of their minds to focus on complex tasks, and demonstrates the value of patience. It's also excellent at introducing the concept of cause-and-effect relationships, plus accepting responsibility when things turn out poorly, but getting on with it and fixing the mess. It even can help develop reading skills, and the ability to understand and follow written instructions. Anyone can surely see how all of these things relate to success in later life.

I really don't see video-games or other forms of passive entertainment providing much positive influence.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My daughter is 12 and has put her first snap tite kit together. Was very proud of her for accomplishing that. Five year old son working at a model is just absolutely perfect dude. The more you can do with your children together is just awesome. Something he can now pass down to his son when he has a five year old son. My daughter is ready to move on to the next skill level and has mentioned that she wants too so I told her when she wants to start working on her next model that she needs to come tell me and we will sit down together to pick out the next kit she wants to start putting together. This will require that she paints the model and actually uses glue or cement to assemble the kit.

It's went a couple of weeks since shes mentioned anything about anything modeling related or moving on to the next skill level. I'm not pushing her or pressuring her into moving on. I want her to come to me when shes ready. Shes recently seen me working with my airbrush and has developed a great interest in airbrushing. I myself am just getting into airbrushing and am not very experienced at either airbrushing or assembling a kit. So I believe I'm going to get her a Master model airbrush from TCP Global or even a Harbor Freight airbrush model double action airbrush and let her practice with the lessons obtained at www.howtoairbrush.com and see where it takes her. I've gave her the resources that I have online about reading and learning from videos watched on youtube.com to let her learn at her own pace. When she comes to me again we will purchase and start working on her next kit. Its very awesome because we can both learn together. Heck maybe she will learn at a faster pace then I do and she can actually teach me some things ha ha.

Its just something that's a lot of fun working with her on and great father daughter time that a family can never get enough of.

Absolutely, I learned at a very young age that a parent pressuring you into doing something at a faster pace then you want them too will just push you away from doing it. So I'm letting her go at her own pace, seeing where it will go :). Good lord if I get her into this too much I can see a divorce in the near future ha ha. (Just kidding) :D

That's the way, Bill. I remember, I started as six years old little boy, first kit was '60 Starliner. Now, about nine years later, I'm still building and haven't had any breaks on building.

I managed to get my father back in the hobby too, his latest completed builds were done on the 90's, but now he has completed already a few builds, and more to come. I also managed to get my little sister in building models, she's 12 years old now, and building Revell's new '60 Impala. Of course for Factory Stock look without those ugly big wheels what come with the kit. B)

It's fun to build together with someone.

Wow Niko, I didn't realize you were so young. You've got some skill at a fairly early age! Keep at it my man, by the time you're my age you're gonna be spectacular.

To MANY years great model building! And way to go on getting your sis into the hobby! That's great!

Corey

Edited by dimebolt

Heh, thanks Corey!

I've built bit over 50 models now, and only the models that are completed in one or two - or maybe three years time period, are something that I'm happy about. Those older ones (maybe about 20 builds) are not too great quality, which is of course normal. B)

This hobby is really great and I don't have problems that "There's nothing to do". :lol:

Oh and have to say, that there are many talented young builders here in Finland, better than me. Maybe somebody thought that there's no Model Building in Finland, but that's not true. ;)

Edited by W-409

That's really cool Niko. I don't have much of a problem finding something to do either. Seem like that's a common problem with today's youth. TOO many video games, and not enough creative juices flowing. That's cool that you've already got 50 builds under your belt. Even the ones you aren't proud of. Everybody has to start somewhere. Keep at it man.

Corey