Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Phantom van is done !

This thing is finished. It did not turn out like I saw it in my minds eye. Not very happy with it to tell you the truth and is not really a fair representation of one of my builds. I wasn't even going to post photos of it but figured, "What the heck. were all friends here". Van was sectioned through the middle about a scale 6". It was going to be a full build but part way through I decided to make it more of a slammer. There is an engine in it but only a partial one. After it was all puttied up and sanded smooth I added the side trim to make the 2 tone paint job nicer. I drilled the holes for the phony side exhaust as well as the intake stacks. Those were all made with aluminum tube. The paint is Inca Gold in front blended into Flamming orange from the middle to the rear. The bottom is gloss black and the side trim was covered with BMF. As I said I am not very happy with it and it will be in the rear of the display cabinet if in there at all. Comments are welcome as always both good or bad. Thanks for looking.

vandone005.jpgvandone004.jpgvandone003.jpgvandone002.jpgvandone001.jpg

Ray , I really like the faded paint job and your color choices look great together . Personally I can live without the spoiler thing on the top , or maybe just something smaller . Overall I think it turned out just fine and that you are being too critical of yourself !

Thanks Bob. I think you are oh so right about the spoiler. When I was mocking it up it did not seem so large. I also was going to bend it down so it did not stick up so high but I forgot and thought after it was painted it was too late and thought the paint could crack.

In my humble opinion, you could rip off the BMF from the sides, That, to me, would

give it a few more "like" points. I like the paint scheme that you did. Hopefully underneath

the foil, you have some smooth paint lines. It's the foil that looks wrong to me.

One nice benefit from a build like this is that you can always learn from it for the

next one. But I don't think this one is as bad as you think it is really!!

Steve