Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Woody

Psychographic

The frame and interior are one piece. I have to paint the front calipers, and button up a few lines and the underside is done.

PB030799.jpg

PB030801.jpg

PB030803.jpg

Now to touch up the flocking and a few spots on the interior. I'm dreading trying to finish the body. Without exaggeration, I bet I've broke the doors and top of the body at least 20 times so far.

Thank you for the comments everyone, I'm glad you are enjoying this build. It feels weird to get this far on a build, weird, but good!

News flash, broke the body twice today. :blink: I'm actually surprised that I haven't lost it yet and smashed it to bits, must be that old age creeping in.

I started reshaping the inner fenders and once the primer dries a bit more. I'll put the first coat of filler on it.

The recess in the firewall for the engine.

PB040804.jpg

Right side, the front cutout is for the alternator the back cut out is for the header.

PB040805.jpg

Left side, the notch is to clear the front suspension.

PB040806.jpg

I think this is the first time since I cut this body up that it's been back to one piece. Filling and sanding this body is going to be a very delicate process, if you look there are four, 1/8" or less strips that are glued together that hold the body in one piece. I've tried backing it up with .010, but that broke too. Anything thicker and I'll run into problems with the glass. I just have to remember where to hold and more importantly, where NOT to hold.

A couple subtle changes you might not have noticed, the guards are gone from the rear fendes along with the front turn signals, the front wheelwells have been reshaped, the headlight buckets are frenched, and the bottom of the grille are has been reshaped. More noticeable, the rather large hole in the front fender for the exhaust, and the frenched holes in the back fenders for the tailights.

PB040815.jpg

PB040816.jpg

PB040817.jpg

PB040818.jpg

PB040819.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

looking good david. what broke the plastic or the glue holding it?

The glue joints. I usually cement in braces when I cut something up this much. Unfortunately any bracing would be in the way of fitting the interior and floorpan, there was a lot of test fitting to get everything to fit. As I said, I can't back the joints up with anything too thick as the windows wouldn't fit.

Wow David! This is a excellent build. I really like the look of the shortened body. Excellent choice on the Offy. The entire chassis it great! Excellent fabrication work! Your interior is also a standout.

How did you get the bends to stay in the headers? I have never been able to master that in styrene. I don't see flame marks.

What are you using for glue on the body? I have found that testors liquid can create a pretty strong bond if applied to clean plastic with no gap and allowed to dry overnight.

Another winner build for sure.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

david, try this next time.

DSC00970.jpg

glue halves together,cut a troughalong joint, insert strip styrene, fill though with ca glue.

this comes from a book called custom car modeling by mark s. gustavson havent tried it my self yet but it looks like it should work pretty good.

Edited by jamesG

did you reinforce them with some thin brass rod Dave? id hate to see it come apart on ya, it looks so freakin good! the frame is totally cool!

i have one of these kits, but im afraid to chop it apart like you did............yea i know im a chicken! LOL

bryan

Straight pins make very strong, thin supports, as long as you need something straight and an inch and a half or less. BTW, have you seen the Offy photos I sent you? If not, you might check your forum messages. I'm enjoying this build.