Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building the Revell 1950 Oldsmobile - We're Finished! 10/30/12

Len Carsner

We’ve made it to the end of this build. Good thing it wasn’t a contest to see who finished first, Bill had me beaten by miles!

We both started this project with specific cars we wanted to duplicate, so lets see who came closest to their goal.

We’ll start with my car. What I wanted to duplicate was this basic color combo but with a different upper color. Here’s my inspiration:

5088bus97vi-vi.jpg

And here’s my result:

PICT0063-vi.jpg

PICT0075-vi.jpg

PICT0067-vi.jpg

PICT0073-vi.jpg

PICT0074-vi.jpg

I really like the two tone combination of maroon over creme. As you can see the overall proportions look spot-on, and give you the feeling of looking at a full size car. The engine, as well as the chassis, look period exact and will no doubt be the fuel that powers many other projects.

continued....

Edited by Len Carsner

Now lets look at a picture of the car that inspired Bills’ project:

ScreenShot20121030at9_42_14PM-vi.jpg

In many ways Bill chose a tougher road to go, as duplicating a race car can be difficult when there are so many people who may be familiar with the subject and may nit pick over details.

Here’s Bills’ result:

24PICT0490-vi.jpg

24aPICT0493-vi.jpg

24cPICT0494-vi.jpg

24dPICT0484-vi.jpg

24ePICT0489-vi.jpg

Here are five views of the finished, out-of-the-box build of the Revell 1950 Oldsmobile as driven by the late Buck Baker during the nineteen-race NASCAR Grand National season. This was the first year of this series using the GN moniker that was in place until the early 70’s when it changed to Winston Cup Series.

25PICT0496-vi.jpg

25aPICT0500-vi.jpg

The finished Buck Baker 87 NASCAR Olds model strikes a handsome pose with the hood propped open here with a short length of plain guitar string. It congers up visions of Buck and the crew in the pits at a dusty, rut and pothole infested dirt short track prepping the racecar for a day of bone-jarring beatin’ and bangin’. Like they say…”that’s just racin”.

BillL2010iHobby2-vi.jpg

Bill Lastovich was a steady hand in product development at Revell for many years. A great friend to Bill and me was lost earlier this year. Bill's passing was actually a great loss to the whole model car building hobby. The new Revell 50 Olds kit was one of Bill's pet projects. He was really looking forward to seeing it in production. When we were asked to provide this internet build/review of this long awaited model car kit, we couldn't help but feel like we were doing this one for Bill. And indeed, we are.

Well, we’ve finally come to the end of the road on this project. And while it may have been a long time between updates it was certainly not the fault of the kit as it was, as with all of Revells recent releases, an absolute pleasure to build.

And now that we’re finished it’s time to sit back and watch your 1950 Olds projects as they get posted to the boards and show up at contests. We hope you will enjoy this kit as much as we did.

As always we want to thank Ed Sexton and Roger Harney of Revell. Without them we would not have had this opportunity.

We’d also like to thank the owners of the forums that we post to, without whom we wouldn’t have this great space to discuss and display our work.

Finally we’d like to thank all of you that followed along with our build. Your comments and suggestions were very helpful and entertaining.

Thanks to you all, and we’ll see you again soon with another exciting build/review!

Take care,

Bill Coulter and Len Carsner

These are spectacular builds.

Anyone notice a typo on the rear fender decals? They say LABOR DAY STEP. 4

The 1:1 reference shows it's supposed to be SEPT. 4, which should be easy enough to fix with a little knife work.

Also, if the goal is to be authentic to the 1:1, shouldn't "GRIFFIN MOTORS ENTRY" be on the left front fender?

Edited by sjordan2

These are spectacular builds.

Anyone notice a typo on the rear fender decals? They say LABOR DAY STEP. 4

The 1:1 reference shows it's supposed to be SEPT. 4, which should be easy enough to fix with a little knife work.

Also, if the goal is to be authentic to the 1:1, shouldn't "GRIFFIN MOTORS ENTRY" be on the left front fender?

We're submitting an article to MCM concerning further detailing for the stock car, which will include additions to the markings.

Len C.

if you add stuff, add two hood lockdowns visible in that front end pic above. those are ultra kool...they kinda look like they are somehow part of the chrome valance thing.

thats a super build, pair of em actually! neat to see what this new kit will build into!