Model Cars Magazine Forum

How about a little "retro" modeling?

I, and I hope several of you, have fond memories of some of the kits I built back in the '50s when I first started in this wacky hobby. And of course, nostalgia makes the those kits seem better than they really were, but we still think of them kindly today.

That's certainly the case with this Monogram "Black Widow" '27 Model T hot rod. This was a very exciting kit when I was 10 or 12 years old so when the SSP reissue became available not too long ago I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. Not sure why I didn't build it right away but I have now so it's all good.

I did resist the urge to "fix" things and "improve" on the details, or lack thereof. For instance, this model has no transmission at all, no drive shaft or differential. The engine lacks detail and really should be completely replaced with a better one from a more modern kit. Most of the suspension pieces that should be round are flat on one side.

No, I wanted to build this model pretty much like I would've back then, just as it came out of the box. The one concession to current skills and abilities is that I did paint it with an airbrush! Those parts that are painted anyway. The ivory color you see on the top and upholstery is the bare plastic. So let's call it a box art model, for I guess that's really what it is.

bw01-vi.jpg

bw04-vi.jpg

Now this model will take it's rightful place next to the Monogram "Green Hornet" that I have also built straight out of the box and I will continue my quest for a '32 Ford Sport Coupe kit from the same era. (One will turn up on eBay from time to time but go for big money, really big money!)

Comment and critiques are always welcomed and encouraged.

Really nice job on that "Black Widow" Drew and I also have been thinking of building some of those older Monogram models right out of the box except for a spray paint job. Those kits were a lot of fun for us back-in-the -day and still can be with no chopping, channeling, engine wireing, plug wires, seat belts, valve stems, etc.,etc.. Just an easy and enjoyable build.

Thats really great Drew. I love these old models, tho very simple, they come out looking so good right out of the box. Did you paint the black or polish the plastic? Ive got 2 of these in the pile, Ive got to get on to building one.

Edited by Draggon

You know, these things commonly take a bad rap, but there's room to appreciate and partake in the heritage of our hobby. You gotta respect the model companies for keeping a few of these out there and risk getting thrown under the bus by the more novice modelers who might not know what they're buying. Nice work.

I love this kit, despite how crude it is! My only gripe with it is that the chrome is almost always rubbed thin on the wheel discs by the bag meant to protect them. It looks great built up, and I can handle the lack of chassis detail, since I don't display my models on their roofs. :D