Model Cars Magazine Forum

A direct how-to for my painting situation

First off, painting bodies is my favorite thing to do, but Im terrible at it.

I start by trimming flash/scribing lines/general body work when and where it's needed. I then take a toothbrush and use the toothpaste to give the paint some footing.

My model is a '62 Thunderbird that I am spraying MM Wimbeldon White. The body was molded in white, so I did not use any primer (some of you will shame me for this, but I currently don't have any white primer)

SO, I have my first mist coat of the lacquer on. Where do I go from here? This is my first white car and the last thing I want to do is thrash the body not following a proper procedure. I do have a can of MM Ultra Gloss Clearcoat that I would like to use as well. (Ive never cleared or polished any of my cars for the reason of not being able to find a solid set of directions to fit my exact application.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. Its much appreciated

Guest G Holding

The misting is for a number of coats, sprayed together in the paint mfgrs window..Dupla color lacquers can be misted quickly...Tamiya likes a bit more time 20 min between. With lacquers the mist coats "melt " together so you need to get even color 3 or 4 mist coats will usually do it, but the lack of primer might cause pooling due to poor adhesion...The big trick is knowing that lacquers will shrink as the solvents gas out. So don't go too thick too quick.