Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 1975 Mercedes Benz 450SLC AMG WIP

Jordan White

Over the past weekend I purchased a vintage Otaki 1/12 scale Mercedes 450SLC kit, and plan on doing a detailed build (well, a bit more detailed than the already insanely detailed kit) as well as adding LEDs for the front and rear. I'm going to keep the scratchbuilding to a minimum, since that's what's slowed down my other 1/12 builds. Here's some pics of the kit and what's inside.

Image0079.jpg

Image0081.jpg

Image0082.jpg

Colors will be dark green metallic exterior, light tan interior, and gold-centered BBS wheels. I also might do some gold accents on the body to contrast the green.

Upon opening the kit, I noticed that the parts and assembly quality is on par with modern Tamiya and Aoshima kits, and is way better IMO than any Revell 1/12 kit (comes with opening hood, doors, trunk, working suspension, rolling wheels mounted with nuts/bolts, separate gauges, and (oddly enough), two sprues with the various lenses (one in red and one in amber).)

Edited by Jordan White

I've determined the color I'm going to use (though the sucky thing is I can't get a pic, my camera makes it look too blue). It's Ford Deep Jewel Green Metallic over a gold metallic basecoat. Let's just say the gold really makes the color pop! I'll have to paint the engine compartment soon so you guys can get an idea of what it looks like.

Looking forward to watching this as well. I have been tempted to start on mine on more than one occasion,but it came without instructions!! Due to an unfamiliarity with this car,my better sense has held off so far. So...any chance one of you guys might be able to help me out somehow with instructions??

The SL and SLC are great kits. I started "one" about 15 years ago when they were hard to find. I had acquired an SLC, then actually converted it to an SL because there were no SL's to be found. Of course, a few months after I carefully cut and converted the SLC....an SL came up on Yahoo auctions. I did the conversion in a white pearl, then spent stupid time trying to figure out the best custom wheels for it. Then put it away and never started it again. Both are in their boxes just waiting in line.

Jordan, I really like your period correct wheels. I should have just stuck with something like that, too. Maybe it would have been finished long ago. ;)

Edited by deja-view

Looking forward to watching this as well. I have been tempted to start on mine on more than one occasion,but it came without instructions!! Due to an unfamiliarity with this car,my better sense has held off so far. So...any chance one of you guys might be able to help me out somehow with instructions??

The kit I got came with both the original AMG instructions (in Japanese), and a set for the stock version (in English). Tomorrow I'll take pics of whichever you need and send them to you.

Man, those Japanese kits are amazing with regards to the detail and precision. As someone who only builds Corvette kits, it really makes me wish that the Japanese companies would put together a super detailed large scale kit for a Corvette. I can only imagine how incredible it would be putting together a C4 era Vette with photo-etched parts, detailed engine with full wiring/plumbing, opening doors, rotating headlights, etc.

I'll definitely be following this build as mine is starting to come to an end (1/12 Scale Monogram 1967 Corvette Coupe) and who knows, perhaps seeing all these amazing non-US origin kits will inspire me to perhaps try one out. :D

Man, those Japanese kits are amazing with regards to the detail and precision. As someone who only builds Corvette kits, it really makes me wish that the Japanese companies would put together a super detailed large scale kit for a Corvette. I can only imagine how incredible it would be putting together a C4 era Vette with photo-etched parts, detailed engine with full wiring/plumbing, opening doors, rotating headlights, etc.

Nice start on this one Jordan. :)

Had one in my hands briefly, but decided to pass it on to someone who could possibly do it more justice. :(

Justin, whilst these Japanese kits do offer a unique perspective on the American Auto market, sadly they do lack in some regards to accuracy. :(

I have the Bandai 1/12 C3 (?) Vette, the 69 Stingray.

The overall appearance will most certainly yield a nice, reasonably detailed kit (when I get to finishing it...) it also has many flaws.

Apologies to Jordan for straying off topic then. :(

The kit I got came with both the original AMG instructions (in Japanese), and a set for the stock version (in English). Tomorrow I'll take pics of whichever you need and send them to you.

Thanks Jordan!Mine is stock.I know it's a large manual so no rush.Anything I can help you with in the future,let me know.This is just the box and cover sheet for the instructions.

post-8897-0-54693100-1349618120_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-60594200-1349618143_thumb.jp

That sort of detail would be great for any large kit of your favorite subject! :P Of course, there's no 1/12 Jeep YJ kits available, so I'm scratchbuilding my own (got the frame mostly done, leaf springs and front axle partially done). :rolleyes:

Thanks Jordan!Mine is stock.I know it's a large manual so no rush.Anything I can help you with in the future,let me know.This is just the box and cover sheet for the instructions.

I'll actually scan it into my computer later and if you want to PM me your e-mail address, I could send it to you that way.

I'll definitely be following this build as mine is starting to come to an end (1/12 Scale Monogram 1967 Corvette Coupe) and who knows, perhaps seeing all these amazing non-US origin kits will inspire me to perhaps try one out. :D

They do have a few...or used to. I have one of the Doyusha '78 Corvettes, and it is very nice (still in the box). But my real "finds" are TWO of the 1968-69 Corvette kits by Doyusha/Bandai. Those are extremely rare, and my plan is to use one and the '78 kit to make a replica of the 1973 Corvette I used to own many years ago. I bought one from a gent in Australia many years ago, then happened to stumble on another a few years back on fleabay, I think. It's another project I really want to do, but it will have to wait for the right time.

016-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

014-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Sorry to post again,but I wanted to share this if you have not already seen it. http://home.wwdb.org.../450constr.html Some good motivation for anyone building this kit.

That's a nice job on the 450slc...especially the engine bay. But with all that detail and work, I wonder why he didn't get rid of the huge joining seams on the seatbacks??

Nice start on this one Jordan. :)

Had one in my hands briefly, but decided to pass it on to someone who could possibly do it more justice. :(

Justin, whilst these Japanese kits do offer a unique perspective on the American Auto market, sadly they do lack in some regards to accuracy. :(

I have the Bandai 1/12 C3 (?) Vette, the 69 Stingray.

The overall appearance will most certainly yield a nice, reasonably detailed kit (when I get to finishing it...) it also has many flaws.

Apologies to Jordan for straying off topic then. :(

If you ever get around to building that '69 give us a heads up. If I ever get to my project I'll probably have a bunch of spare parts you can use.

That's a nice job on the 450slc...especially the engine bay. But with all that detail and work, I wonder why he didn't get rid of the huge joining seams on the seatbacks??

I found a thread on a forum that this guy posted the pics in, and the guys there were asking him the same thing. :lol:

Edited by Jordan White

They do have a few...or used to. I have one of the Doyusha '78 Corvettes, and it is very nice (still in the box). But my real "finds" are TWO of the 1968-69 Corvette kits by Doyusha/Bandai. Those are extremely rare, and my plan is to use one and the '78 kit to make a replica of the 1973 Corvette I used to own many years ago. I bought one from a gent in Australia many years ago, then happened to stumble on another a few years back on fleabay, I think. It's another project I really want to do, but it will have to wait for the right time.

Oh wow. If finances turn in my favor, I may have to look into getting one of those. Have always marveled at the level of detail the Japanese manufacturers put into those kits and can only imagine how amazing they look when put together. Looking at the kits I've built, the C3 era Corvettes are the one model type I haven't put together yet. Got C1 (1953 Corvette), C2 (1963 coupe and the 1967 coupe I'm building now), C3 (haven't built one yet), C4 (1/16 1985 Vette and the 1/24 Grand Sport Convertible), C5 (Realized I don't have one of those built yet, and it may be my next goal as those kits are generally very well done), and the C6 (Put together the coupe I have as my avatar).

Can't wait to see more progress on your build. The wheels look incredible. What paint did you use to get that silky smooth gold on there? Looks almost like it was plated and not painted. :)

Jdurg;

Of course, if you want to go "monster large", there's the Monogram 1/8 '78 Vette that can also be made into the Anniversary theme, the interesting '82, and the early C4 84-85 vesrion. The 84-5 kits are fairly cheap (but not cheap to mail) and have really cool parts to use on other kits. Impressive, but you use up 24" of shelf space. I have several of those because I wanted to (try) to replicate my now-sold 1991 ZR-1. I'm not good enough to figure out the body revision yet, but the real challenge is replicating the LT5 engine. So, in the meantime I've set aside things like the seats and LT-wimp engine for stree rod projects. :rolleyes:

Edited by deja-view

Sorry to post again,but I wanted to share this if you have not already seen it. http://home.wwdb.org.../450constr.html Some good motivation for anyone building this kit.

Pretty awesome. But I don't understand why the builder would go to such lengths and overlook such obvious flaws as the poor headlight rings and the seams on the seats and dash. Otherwise, it looks like the real thing.