Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modifying Wire Wheels. (foolin around)

bryan_m

ok guys, i was diggin through my wheel stash, and i came across these wheels......as is, i really didnt like them, they arent very nice at all.....

photo-vi.jpg

i trimmed up the outer edges, and i thought, "i could make these look better"......ive been wanting some decent wire wheels for a future project, so i grabbed my grinder, and some files and here is what i ended up with.

photo-vi.jpg

so much better without all that nasty plastic filling in those spokes!! it took me about 30 minutes to do this one wheel, they end up being pretty delicate....i still have to clean them up a little more, but im really liking them now.....

thanks for lookin!

cheers

bryan

Edited by bryan_m

thanks Bob.

heres a couple more shots.......they still need cleaned a bit more, but it will be well worth the effort. i shot this first one against a light so you could really see that the plastic is gone..

photo1-vi.jpg

here it is mounted in a nice whitewall tire.....

photo1-vi.jpg

cheers

bryan

Hey Bryan those look great! How do you think theyr gonna hold up on the car? Are they really "delicate" or do you think they'll be okay. They turned out very nice. Good work. They really look like wire rims now m

Edited by jcbigpaw

thanks guys!

i have no idea what kit they came from, but i have 2 sets of them here. theyre not so delicate that they will break under the weight of a car, they should hold up really well.

im workin on the other 3 now, so after its all said and done, ill have about 2 hours in all 4 of them.....thats worth it i guess.

cheers

bryan

thanks Rich! my throat n nose are still on fire from that!!

these wheels sets have 2 deep, and 2 shallow wheels, unfortunately the shallow ones are way too delicate to do this too......i knocked about 5 of the spokes off of one of them, but thats ok, ill just use 4 deep ones!

cheers

bryan