Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '67 Dodge Coronet- Foose Edition

Casey

Guest G Holding

OK...It is simple...reissue kit with a few updates, new boxart, sell kits and have more cash to devolop new tools ? I like the idea and the kit. If you know Chip and how he draws, you know he changes a few things on his concept art for a "feel" I think if you READ THE BOX it doesn't say super low modified new tool ..just "Foose Edition"....

• 1 month later...

O.K., I know that this kits discussion got pushed aside pretty fast and was never re-visited but since I just picked one of these up yesterday I figured I would elaborate on what I see and what I planned to do with this, which is why I picked it up.

First, to answer a couple of unanswered questions, the kit not only comes with the larger tires and wheels for the Foose edition it is a straight reissue with all of the stock parts, including stock tires and wheels. Everything about the kit, other than the Foose tires and wheels and decals are the same from whatever the last issue of this kit was.

Now, my intentions for buying this kit was not to see how close it would resemble the actual car, as the box art doesn't even resemble the real car that was built. My goal is to see how close I could come to replicating the artwork. I am just showing the quick work that I have done so far, that way folks can see the possibilities. I won't be getting to a full build on this one for a bit and whenI do I will showcase everything done in the works in progress section.

So what I have done so far, just to see how it would look, is the perform a mild top chop by removing the wing window trim, making small pie cuts along the bottom of the A-pillars and C-pillars and then cutting the roof, straight across, just a short distance back from the top of the windshield line. Then I was able to lay the A-pillars back, lean the C-pillars forward and reattach the roof after cutting away a small amount of material. This gives the roofline a more aerodynamic appearrance that more closely matches the artwork. To get the true feel for the artwork it also appears the side profile would need to be stretched either forward or backward. I'm not going that far.

The next thing was to cut away the engine bay wheelwells in order to move the tires further up inside the fenderwells. I was precise about the cuts on the engine bay so as not to damage it in any way as I will be making adjustments to these parts and reattaching them at a later date. At this point the tires and wheels are merely mocked up and taped into position for the look that I am after.

Let me know what you think.

DSCN0119-vi.jpg

DSCN0120-vi.jpg

DSCN0121-vi.jpg

DSCN0122-vi.jpg

DSCN0124-vi.jpg

The guys that designed the car back in the 60s should be rolling in their graves, or asking each other who is the clound called Foose that messed up with their design...

They should be looking at the wheels and imagining where those things called tires went, and when cars started to use steam locomotive wheels.

The guys that designed the car back in the 60s should be rolling in their graves, or asking each other who is the clound called Foose that messed up with their design...

They should be looking at the wheels and imagining where those things called tires went, and when cars started to use steam locomotive wheels.

Could also be Foose's designs aren't too far off the original sketches too ;) IIRC, designs many times start out impractally wild and get reworked into something that looks like the drawings but won't scare off more conservitive buyers.

It's nice that they did a Foose styled 67' Coronet. However, not really the style of car for the execution. Had Revell done an all new 68' Dodge Coronet years ago instead of the 67' Coronet R/T; that would have been better suited as a Foose edition model. In my opinion a sleeker body with custom wheels . This would sell better than the 67'.

Which brings me to another question. Does anyone know why Revell even chose to kit a 67' Coronet R/T instead

of a 68'? How did they determine that the 67' was the year to go with?

George, if you want a '68 Coronet R/T you can get it from Modelhaus. I did.

A case of misleading packaging if you ask me (which no-one did but i've never let that stop me before).

Any small print on the box along the lines of "glue, paint, tools, putty and advanced building skills required to build the car pictured above"?

And any photos on the sides of the actual kit?

My favourite box lid disclaimer is on the Revell 41 Willys where they point out they supply parts to build ONE model car. No? Really? I was wondering where the parts for the other 40 went...

A case of misleading packaging if you ask me (which no-one did but i've never let that stop me before).

Any small print on the box along the lines of "glue, paint, tools, putty and advanced building skills required to build the car pictured above"?

And any photos on the sides of the actual kit?

My favourite box lid disclaimer is on the Revell 41 Willys where they point out they supply parts to build ONE model car. No? Really? I was wondering where the parts for the other 40 went...

Sadly, people really are that stupid Zen, when I was still with Toy's "R" Us we had some guy come in with an AMT Mustang Cobra kit with the 1/1 car on the box painted that special factory flip flop paint, he was pissed that model was molded in primer grey instead of being molded or pre finished in that color and was wanting to return it after opening it and saw it was in the wrong color. Now on the box of that era, it actually says that the model is molded in said grey plastic in black print of grey...... I still occasionally have people want to know if and then why the kit manufacturers don't include paint, tools, and glue with the kits.

I knew what to expect from the kit. I see the box art as no more that Chip's "Overhaulin' " sketch.

If the rims in the box are the same as the One-Off's put on the actual car, then.......

I what the show as much as I can, which is not often. I Use to watch it all the time on Discovery/TLC

It is on Velocity now, and either in competition with something else I, my sister, or mother watch, or on at

different times/days, so miss it.

Though I do like the show, I do not always care for the finished build.

The ONE I do like, "Bessie--Junk In The Trunk" 56 Cadillac Convertible.

That was a Restoration, not customization.

I am curious though. He removes the Front license plate mount on almost

All Overhaulin' episodes.

If the owner gets a ticket for that, does He pay it??

NO.

I would make him sign a Contract, that is I lived in a 2 tag state, and he removed

the front plate mount, He Would pay for ALL such tickets.

Otherwise, the tapes would be destroyed never to run, and he would return my

car/truck to me in the condition he took it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like my daddy used t'say "you all would complain if they hung you with a new rope." Basically, you all ain't happy unless you're complaining! I thought it was the full moon but that's passed, maybe it's the weather. :huh:

I don't know, I kinda like it. I see potential. I mean really, do you guys build kits exactly like the instructions say right out of the box?

As far as the picture, a lot of the kits I built as a kid were nothing like the box art. It didn't dissuade me at all.

You Gentlemen are right There is insparation plus parts that can be swapped

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It's nice that they did a Foose styled 67' Coronet. However, not really the style of car for the execution. Had Revell done an all new 68' Dodge Coronet years ago instead of the 67' Coronet R/T; that would have been better suited as a Foose edition model. In my opinion a sleeker body with custom wheels . This would sell better than the 67'.

Which brings me to another question. Does anyone know why Revell even chose to kit a 67' Coronet R/T instead

of a 68'? How did they determine that the 67' was the year to go with?

Old thread, I know, but no way the '68 is better looking. '66/'67 Coronets were great looking cars....even Revell thought so.  ;)

.....opinions.

Mike

• 5 months later...

I know this is old news, but I believe the reason Revell chose the 67 R/T is because that was the first year for the R/T option. Same with the Plymouth GTX.  I just cracked open one of these R/T kits, and found bad chrome on the front bumper, and decals that are out of resister. A little heads up for anybody that hasn't already worked with one of these Dodges. I prbably won't build it as a FOOSE version, anyway!:D

• 2 years later...
On 10/14/2012 at 5:44 PM, GMP440 said:

Does anyone know why Revell even chose to kit a '67 Coronet R/T instead of a '68?

George! ?‍♀️?

5 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

its a decent enough kit