Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Extended Vans?

Hi Guys,

The re-release of the AMT Ford V(Ph)antom got me thinking... Have any of you ever attempted to build an "extended version of this kit?

3976303573_a4cc032cef.jpg

If so, what techniques did you use? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I ran on a few of these, both as raised roof ambulances, and later as paramedic units in converted extended vans. My "engineering" skills are somewhat lacking... :wacko: I am especially puzzled about the body extenension behind the rear wheels Thanks.

Edited by hooknladderno1

Back when AMT released the Rescue 911 Dodge van, I converted a lot of them to a EXT WB to make ENG (tv live trucks) vans, I used two kits for everyone I made

I have myself been thinking about how to extend the Ford version, but it will take more then doing the Dodge one, since with the ford you have two sections to extend (behind the side door/and after the rear wheels)

Edited by martinfan5

You know 2 kits for one extended van isn't too bad, the donor could easily be used for a cab and chassis to build a type 3 (box style) ambulance, uhaul truck etc. That would also provide you with the rear doors you want for the side.

I have similar plans but don't even have the Vantom kit yet, so you are a couple of steps ahead of me.

Wow Tom, that is great! Do you have any" in progress" photos to show the "how-to"? Three other questions:

1. Any suggestions on maintaining the consistancy of the cornes on the windows that you made?

2. Do you have the dimensions of where you made the cuts?

3. Any suggestions for replicating the recessed moldings around the sides of the rear body extension as in the photo of the red ambulance at the begining of the thread? Thanks.

The hardest part of this by far will be the raised area that is the last foot or so of the body. You would need to widen the rear portion of the body by about an eighth of an inch and then build the contours with putty. I know I won't be doing it, body work is not my strong suit.

Wow Tom, that is great! Do you have any" in progress" photos to show the "how-to"? Three other questions:

1. Any suggestions on maintaining the consistancy of the cornes on the windows that you made?

2. Do you have the dimensions of where you made the cuts?

3. Any suggestions for replicating the recessed moldings around the sides of the rear body extension as in the photo of the red ambulance at the begining of the thread? Thanks.

1. The best way I've found is to acquire a round file that cuts the diameter you want in the corner. As you near the edge use a lighter touch until the smooth radius is formed.

2. I can't really remember where I made the cuts, and I didn't take any pictures of that stage. This van is not a new build, I've done too much since then, I just can't remember...

3. I'm not familiar with that rear treatment. I'm not sure how I would approach it. I'd probably do it like I do everything else. I'm not much of a planner, I just deal with things as they arise. I'd have to become more familiar with just how that rear area looks form different angles.

1. The best way I've found is to acquire a round file that cuts the diameter you want in the corner. As you near the edge use a lighter touch until the smooth radius is formed.

2. I can't really remember where I made the cuts, and I didn't take any pictures of that stage. This van is not a new build, I've done too much since then, I just can't remember...

3. I'm not familiar with that rear treatment. I'm not sure how I would approach it. I'd probably do it like I do everything else. I'm not much of a planner, I just deal with things as they arise. I'd have to become more familiar with just how that rear area looks form different angles.

Tom,

Thanks for your reply! In thinking about it, I am going to attempt to make a template of where the rear extension bumps out on the sides. Then transferring the shape to thin Evergreen sheet(0.010 or 0.015) and beveling the edge. I would then apply some thinned putty or Mr. Surfacer to fill in the gaps... I will try this on scrap plastic first. If it works, I will share the template, photos and technique - unless someone beats me to it :D . Thanks to all for your input. Any other suggestions, detail photos or 1:1 measurements would be appreciated!

I think you are making work for yourself, unless you have a newer grill. It looks to me like the older E-350 like the vantom kit does not have that lip at the rear, it continues flush. I'm guessing there was a minor change in the early 80s when they went to square headlights.

Here is a '76 Ford ambulance for sale, not the biggest pictures, but the back end looks flush with the sides, no raised section.

http://www.used-usa-cars.eu/browse/iowa/Us_dubuque/ford//1976-ford-ambulance-4x4-460-33xxx-miles----1800--platteville--l130290.html

Guys, I don't see that raised section as being a problem. If you look and compare it to the two-tone green that was built by Tom, it is just that, a raised section. The lower dark green on Tom's is also the same as that 1:1. On the extended part all you should need to do is add layers of thin enough sheet to bend to the curves and apply until you have proper thickness.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

Your extended van is incredible! I never would have thought it was made from the Vantom kit. It looks like it came that way.

How did you make the side moldings?

Mike.

First of all, thank you!

They're just Evergreen or Plastruct styrene strips. In this case, I laid two side by side so I would have a trench in between them to paint the black line in. I did the same thing on a 1973 Chevy pickup.

Wow, Tom...that van is nice.

For the Superwagon extension, one thing to keep in mind is that there's two parts to it, and only one is unique from the regular Club van. This site has a good pic of the area if you scroll down - http://vannin.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/443217/New_to_Us_Ford_Super_Club_Wago.html

Note that you have the seam at the end of the Club van quarter panels, the extension, and then another seam where the rear cap is once again standard Club van.

Now, if you look at this van from above, there is a slight taper...it gets a touch narrower in the rear quarter area as you go back. It's not much, but this is where the indent and reveal come into play. You can kinda see in that one pic if you look at the drip rail. So really it's more a matter of shaping the the leading edge of the second body to match that reveal. There's no need to raise the surface. Just push out a touch on the back part on pull in a little on the front.

HTH! :)

I never noticed the taper on the extension. A thin piece of styrene could be added to the front of the 'extension' section. It can then be tapered back with some sanding and maybe some putty to blend it better. I now see the rear cap is the standard cap on all the vans.

Yeah, the taper is barely noticeable. It's in the rear quarter panel area, though - not in the extension panel. It's very, very gentle through the window area but just enough that by the time it does get to the seam, it's enough to require the reveal in the extension.