Model Cars Magazine Forum

Marshall Teague's '52 Fabulous Hudson Hornet

W-409

I got this kit about a week ago. It's really fantastic kit, everything looks very good and sharp to me. Just like the '53 Hudson, this one looks great.

I'm starting building this one now, but I need reference pictures. Especially the engine bay, interior and exterior shots, too, are hard to find. I've already found few of them, but I'd like to see more. I'll be building the 1952 Late Season version, as I think it looks the best.

P9290014.jpg

Pictures of all parts in the kit, can be found here: http://s1038.beta.photobucket.com/user/VintageDragRace/library/52%20Marshall%20Teague%20Fabulous%20Hudson%20Hornet

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

No-one knows anything about this 1:1 car?!

-Should I install the backseat or remove it?

-Did these cars have a Roll Bar/Roll Cage?

-Should I cover the head lights?

-How about the engine? Is it just like Factory Stock engine with all original air cleaners etc. "Detail parts"?

-Does the front seat need any modifications, like in Black Widow Chevy?

And so on.

Also, if you don't know about this specific car, also information about how things usually were back in the day, is very welcome. B)

Hey Niko, this is the only shot I've found of the interior of Herb Thomas' Hudson. It appears the back seat is removed but no change to the front. If you go to Randy Ayers site and surf "Darkside" there are a lot of exterior pics. It also appears the engine is basically stock as well, I can't tell about roll bars but I don't see any?

HerbThomasHudson.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by bbowser

Should I install the backseat or remove it? 1952 NASCAR Hudson had the back seat in them. Many were removed in later years.

-Did these cars have a Roll Bar/Roll Cage? Hudson Hornets did not have roll bars or cages. They were optional on all cars but Hudson felt no need for them.

-Should I cover the head lights? Headlights were often just taped over with masking tape. Factory teams sometimes ran sheet metal covers. Just paint the lens tan or silver.

-How about the engine? Is it just like Factory Stock engine with all original air cleaners etc. "Detail parts"? Factory stock externally in 1952. Some work done inside...but can't be seen.

-Does the front seat need any modifications, like in Black Widow Chevy? Front seat bone stock other than air craft type belt provided in kit.

Thanks

Thanks, everyone!

This is one reason why I like this forum so much. Without you guys, I would be in trouble and I would build just a Stock Car what I think, is correct. ;)

Now I can start building seriously, I will ask more questions if I'm in trouble again.

You cannot rely on a museum car to build a model of the real car. They are almost always wrong.

Yes, that's true.

With Dave's information, I will start building.

Removed the Fender Skirts. It was very easy to do, thanks to good tools and simple shape of that skirt. There are still some bodywork to do before primer, but I try to get it primered soon. Also I started building the engine, glued the engine block together and removed that seam (except from the transmission where it needs little putty).

PA060173_zpsee8b3890.jpg

PA060177_zpsb0443178.jpg

PA060178_zpsdaaa0ac7.jpg

PA060179_zps0b1bb2db.jpg

PA060182_zps7241d144.jpg

Thanks for the link, Michael! That can be used as reference as well.

The build is waiting in a box for a while now, since I'm finishing Pro Stock Cuda for Model Car Show here in Finland. But while it's drying, I try to build something. I hope to have an update soon, but don't hold your breath. ;)

You cannot rely on a museum car to build a model of the real car. They are almost always wrong.

This is absolutely true. Those who restore and "recreate" vintage race cars are notoriously less meticulous about getting the details right than we modelers are.

I have always maintained that modern restorations of vintage race cars are very unreliable as references.

Niko- did you cut the fender skirts along the existing vertical lines? I'm not sure if the cut lines were corrected for the '52 kit- if not they're too far forward and the tire won't be centered in the opening. I know it's fixed on the '52 convertible, not sure on the Model King NASCAR versions.

This is absolutely true. Those who restore and "recreate" vintage race cars are notoriously less meticulous about getting the details right than we modelers are.

I have always maintained that modern restorations of vintage race cars are very unreliable as references.

True, but what remains of original information is usually just grainy B&W photos which aren't very useful..

Thanks for the comments, support, links, information and everything, guys! :D

Niko- did you cut the fender skirts along the existing vertical lines? I'm not sure if the cut lines were corrected for the '52 kit- if not they're too far forward and the tire won't be centered in the opening. I know it's fixed on the '52 convertible, not sure on the Model King NASCAR versions.

Yeah, that's what I did. Thanks for the information, Chuck. You sure know if there are any problems in these Hudson kits, how many different variations you've built? :lol:

Seriously, I need to make little test fit now and see what I can do.

No progress yet, I'm having very little modeling time now because of the school. :rolleyes: But I try to work on this one whenever I can.

If you look at the side of the box for the Marshall Teague version, you can see how the box art model's skirts were cut- the forward vertical cut line is still there. For a body with the incorrectly located skirts, you'd want to cut about 5mm behind the front cut line, and about 3mm behind the rear cut line. Then the tire should be centered in the opening.

• 2 months later...

If you look at the side of the box for the Marshall Teague version, you can see how the box art model's skirts were cut- the forward vertical cut line is still there. For a body with the incorrectly located skirts, you'd want to cut about 5mm behind the front cut line, and about 3mm behind the rear cut line. Then the tire should be centered in the opening.

OR... move the axle forward. Or not bother... it appears that both of the Teague kits I have have the fender skirts properly located, so it's likely yours does as well. :)