Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

Hot Rod magazine was into car modeling in the mid to late '80s. Revell had a series of kits with the Hot Rod logo; there were full-size and scale Hot Rod decals in each kit and the magazine actually ran a photo contest in... late 1987, if I remember correctly.

I have displayed models as a club member at 1:1 car shows. Some of those in attendance were knowledgeable of our hobby, others had no qualms about picking up a built model and inquiring about the price. "Please do not touch" signs are a necessity at these events.

Indeed they did. I think you're right about that contest being in late '87, I think I have that issue floating around here someplace or another. Now that I think of it, today some of the "Hole in the wall" type 1:1 mags cover models sporadically, and Steve Magnante covers them in Hot Rod Deluxe.

Yeah, Do Not Touch signs are pretty much useless. In my work we constantly put up "Out of Order" and "Do Not Enter" signs- think that stops anybody? (Do I really have to tell you the answer?)

My club, The Metroplex Car Modelers Association (MCMA) in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, holds a model contest and show at the Goodguys Lonestar Nationals at the Texas Motor Speedway the first weekend of October every year. We also host a "Make and Take" for the kids where the kids get to put together a snap kit, which are donated by Revell, I think.

Edited by Nate

Revell has just sent out advance samples of the new Hemi 'cuda kit....here is my take on it.

There are 22 pictures of the kit contents and a commentary at the link.

Since this is an actual production kit, the full production run is underway and the kits should be in the stores pretty soon. Thanks for looking...TIM

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-revell-70-hemi-/new-revell-70-hemi-/

DSC_0301-vi.jpg

Thanks Tim! Very cool. I had faith in Revell, and I will certainly be buying a few. I am very enthused by the interior with seperate back seat. Much easier to make a racecar! Plus, I have some wheels and drag 500's, slixx decals, waiting for the 70 Sox and Martin.......

Thanks again Tim.

Cheers,

Greg

I'mma 70/71 Cuda fool, I have two each of the MPC 70/71 Cuda's but I'll definately get two or three of these too! I used the chassis to the 68/70 B bodies and with some very slight shortening of the chassis and it fits like a glove! I'm hopeing Revell did this for me with it's modern molding techniques so I don't hafta keep stealin the chassis from the Roadrunners! Gonna get a few anyways probably!

the 2 scoop hood is just shaped wrong in several ways. Not that I'l use either hood in 9 out of 10 of the ones I build so to me it's not a deal killer

Revell hood

revell-cuda-hood.jpg

Looks like the inboard scoop spears were corrected:

DSC_0340-vi.jpg

Thanks for the pics and review comments, Tim.

Revell has just sent out advance samples of the new Hemi 'cuda kit....here is my take on it.

Since this is an actual production kit, the full production run is underway and the kits should be in the stores pretty soon. Thanks for looking...TIM

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-revell-70-hemi-/new-revell-70-hemi-/

DSC_0301-vi.jpg

Here's a stupid question. How do I, or did you, get on a list for advanced copies of models? I have a choice of two great hobby stores by me. One is a Revell preferred store(they get Revell kits when they're released...usually mid to almost late in the month) and the other is a distributer that Revell seems to get new releases to them the following month(2-3 weeks after general release dates). But, the distributer store has much better prices which usually I wait for. I'd love to get a head start on everyone else sometimes.

DSC_0301-vi.jpg

Thank you Tim!!!!!! After seeing this, I'm in for at least a couple.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Here's a stupid question. How do I, or did you, get on a list for advanced copies of models? I have a choice of two great hobby stores by me. One is a Revell preferred store(they get Revell kits when they're released...usually mid to almost late in the month) and the other is a distributer that Revell seems to get new releases to them the following month(2-3 weeks after general release dates). But, the distributer store has much better prices which usually I wait for. I'd love to get a head start on everyone else sometimes.

Judge...never a stupid question!

In most cases Revell will send samples to the key magazines and media outlets, typically just a few weeks before a kit is introduced. But that's it in terms of advanced samples.

In some specific cases with certain kits, Revell will approach a specific model builder/writer and give them an advance sample as well, with the understanding that they will do a full kit review and buildup and post the pictures online. You may have seen the Bill Coulter/Len Carsner reviews of the Hemi Dart kit and others here in the past...and over the years I have done about 4 of these as well - most recently with the Kurtis Midget kits. In this particular case, Revell approached me specifically and given my interest in the subject, and my involvement its development (as disclosed on my Fotki site), I said yes.

Hope that explains it a little better. Should only be a few weeks before you can buy it as the store. I will be in line with you, buying more for myself!

TIM .

Thanks for your review and the accompanying photos , Tim :) .

From what I can ascertain , this kit looks like a beauty ! It would appear that Revell (et al.) really "towed-the-line" with this BS23R0B ; separate door handles ! Separate rocker moulding ! Separate elastomeric bumpers (now this is super !! ) in addition to the chromed stockers !

I'm in love with that Dana 60 ; and its separate Service Cover is , thankfully , thee industry standard these days .

Now , who's going to cast up a front bench seat , and steering column with shifter ?

So Tim, when will we see a WIP on this bad boy? By the look of the body pics I am pleased with it. Only one issue I can see is the thickness of the wheel well edges. Reminds me of a die cast similar to the 68 mustang bodies which I have yet to bring myself to build because of the toylike nature of it

Thanks for the review and pics Tim - wish they were bigger! Can't wait for this one (or the race version to come!). Now I need to decide what color to paint the first one I purchase!

Jim Kampmann

Heh Jim!

Yes, I am debating the color choice thing as well. I just checked the referenences...18 factory colors, 2 more at mid-year....all thsoe interior colors and combinations...three stripe colors...should a vinyl top be added....not to mention all the engine options....yow!

I think my first one will be Vitamin C Orange with a black interior....but not entrely sure.

By the way, I reset the photo size at Fotki yesterday so anyone looking for the pictures in a littlle bigger size should go back to the link above...makes a big difference (ooops...overstating the obvious?) .

TIM

I can't wait until Revell pops out THE most famous Pro Stock version of this kit. And if they don't.....

The interesting thing about the '70 Sox and Martin Pro Stock car was just how close to "stock" it really was....much less modified from the factory production car than the '71 Sox and Martin version was. I think it would be a pretty easy kitbash to take the decals from the JoHan '71 kit and combine them with the new Revell kit, a simple rollbar from Evergreen Sheet Styrene, and some other minor kitbashing, and come up with a pretty convincing model. There was a full photo feature in one of the muscle car mgazines a couple of years ago on the '70 car that would serve as a good guide...TB

The interesting thing about the '70 Sox and Martin Pro Stock car was just how close to "stock" it really was....much less modified from the factory production car than the '71 Sox and Martin version was. I think it would be a pretty easy kitbash to take the decals from the JoHan '71 kit and combine them with the new Revell kit, a simple rollbar from Evergreen Sheet Styrene, and some other minor kitbashing, and come up with a pretty convincing model. There was a full photo feature in one of the muscle car mgazines a couple of years ago on the '70 car that would serve as a good guide...TB

Tim, it almost sounds like your down playing the possibility of Revell doing the S & M car.....

When can we expect it? B)

Tim, it almost sounds like your down playing the possibility of Revell doing the S & M car.....When can we expect it? B)

I'm sure Tim couldn't say even if he knew, but I would bet a princely sum Revell will announce it as part of it's 2014 4Q announcements. Give the original release a year to sell, then add the first modified reissue to the lineup.

I'm sure Tim couldn't say even if he knew, but I would bet a princely sum Revell will announce it as part of it's 2014 4Q announcements. Give the original release a year to sell, then add the first modified reissue to the lineup.

Casey...you are correct in that if Revell's specifics on future release plans had been shared with me, I would not be authorized to share it here prior to Revell doing so.

As for the other drag cars pictured here, I was pretty knowledgeable about the '70 Sox and Martin car per my comment above, but had conveniently forgotten about some of the other drag cars pictured here - very cool, guys - that Don Grotheer car is so cool! Obviously, these would be just as easy a kitbash using the new 'cuda kit.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Just looking at the resized pics I noticed the box art car has a Barracuda script behind the front wheel well and is decal # 25,is a future variant going to have the option to build a mainstream version or gran coupe?,for the Gran coupe looks like a emblem below the barracuda script would need to be added.