Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

Looking forward to getting one. Looks great. Thanks for posting the decals Casey.

I'm thinking about doing a Pikes Peak racer with this. Where might I locate a decent looking 340/360 for such an application?

AMT/Ertl '71 Duster 340 for the engine (also has a trip-power option), plus the fan belt assembly from the AMT/Ertl '71 Duster Street Machine (the base kit fan belt includes an A./C compressor that would probably be verboten for such a Pikes Peak machine!. TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I am super excited to get one or two of these kits! I really do hope that the aftermarket takes hold on this kit for the AAR parts...I've got a few 340 six packs from the AMT/ERTL '71 Duster that would look gorgeous in the 'Cudas engine bay!

I think the first one I build will have a 6.1 Hemi from a Revell SRT car (yeah, I know...they are 1/24, but it will work) and make a pro-touring car.

I think the first one I build will have a 6.1 Hemi from a Revell SRT car (yeah, I know...they are 1/24, but it will work) and make a pro-touring car.

Uhh no, both sources for the 6.1L Hemi are 1/25, there are discrepancies in engine size between the two because the Magnum was originally a diecast. To avoid the wonky proportion issues, I'd source it out of the Challenger kit.

Uhh no, both sources for the 6.1L Hemi are 1/25, there are discrepancies in engine size between the two because the Magnum was originally a diecast. To avoid the wonky proportion issues, I'd source it out of the Challenger kit.

Don't forget the 1:25 Magnum SRT8- not the ex-diecast Uptown version, but the full-detail one that was first issued as a Revell Muscle kit with a red car on the box and just reissued as a Streetburner series kit with a silver car on the box. That one has a 6.1 Hemi that's all but completely identical in size and parts breakdown to the Challenger's engine.

Don't forget the 1:25 Magnum SRT8- not the ex-diecast Uptown version, but the full-detail one that was first issued as a Revell Muscle kit with a red car on the box and just reissued as a Streetburner series kit with a silver car on the box. That one has a 6.1 Hemi that's all but completely identical in size and parts breakdown to the Challenger's engine.

Hmmm...I'd have to check, but I thought the Challenger's engine was shorter/smaller than the one in the Magnum, or the other way around. I'm thinking of the regular Magnum SRT kit, the weak Uptown version doesn't have an engine IIRC.

Edited by Rob Hall

The engine in the Magnum and Challenger are two different sizes, the one in the Magnum being oversized to fit the diecast-based tooling. It might not be a direct "pour the plastic in the diecast tool", but the full-detail Magnum still has the separate rear hatch. Certainly used the same patterns to create the non-scissor door body, and as a result the engine is larger to look the correct size in the diecast patterned engine bay.

The engine in the Magnum and Challenger are two different sizes, the one in the Magnum being oversized to fit the diecast-based tooling. It might not be a direct "pour the plastic in the diecast tool", but the full-detail Magnum still has the separate rear hatch. Certainly used the same patterns to create the non-scissor door body, and as a result the engine is larger to look the correct size in the diecast patterned engine bay.

It appears I don't have my '08 Challenger kit anymore, so I'll take your word for it. B) Some shared tooling between the two would make more sense (to me) than not anyway. One of those Magnum mills will end up in this '70 Barracuda when I get it. Pretty much bought the Streetburner reissue just for the engine and had a change of plans for the would-be recipient of the 6.1.

INCLUDE a few of the items they neglected to include in the forthcoming "stock" `70 Cuda kit:

1-Rear window louver's (they were available options for stock Cuda's & AAR Cuda`s)

2-Horizontal louvered rocker panel moldings (they were available options for stock Cuda's &

AAR Cuda`s)

Both of these parts additions can be used to enhance either a `70 Cuda AAR or stock '70 Cuda build.

Greg/// - the Revell '70 'cuda DOES include the "Fishgull" rocker moldings - I think that may be what you are thinking of with point #1 above. These were standard on the 'cuda per my references (but not on the AAR). They are 2 separate pieces on the plated parts tree and look/fit great. But they really should be finished in the "Astrotone" Silver (heavy metallic silver with a matte finish) as the chrome plating is not 1.1 scale correct.

DSC_0305-vi.jpg

DSC_0309-vi.jpg

As for the Rear Window Louvers, it will be interesting to see if those Louvers in the 1/24th scale '71 Cuda kit will "fit" the 1/25th scale '70 'cuda body...I would guess not but you never know until you try it...

Best...TB

Edited by tim boyd

As for the Rear Window Louvers, it will be interesting to see if those Louvers in the 1/24th scale '71 Cuda kit will "fit" the 1/25th scale '70 'cuda body...I would guess not but you never know until you try it...

Yeah, and the rear spoiler and front valence spoilerettes (can recall their correct name) from the 1/24 AAR kit. I'm sure one of us has one lying around and can test fit those parts on the new 1/25 kit when it drops.

Has there been any word from Revell on the AAR version. Any date set? Any hope at all?Frankly an AAR version would be a much better choice for the Pikes Peak racer I have planned.

Just idle speculation at this point AFAIK. Since R-M has done the '70 AAR twice before (albeit in 1/24th), I wouldn't expect one necessarily soon....

Here are a few images from a quick buildup I am doing with this kit....

Front suspension detail....DSC_0600-vi.jpg

Dana rear axle and suspension detail

DSC_0599-vi.jpg

Engine block....

DSC_0610-vi.jpg

Body painted in pseudo 1970 Code TX9 "Black Velvet" (actually, Tamiya Gloss Black)....

DSC_0607-vi.jpg

Basic interior panels finished in the blue factory interior color (replicated exactly with MCW Automotive Finishes '69/'70 Plymouth Blue Fire Metallic paint)...

DSC_0603-vi.jpg

I'll continue posting updated images as the build progresses....thanks for looking...TIM

After spending a bunch of time on a 1971 Motown Missile 'Cuda including several hours of getting the chassis right, I'm ready to start over. Mercy that chassis looks good. Wonder how close that 1970 body is to the '71?

So when is this going to be available?

Edited by iBorg

Tim, thanks so much for posting pics of your build up, and that colour combo just goes off in my book. B) Meant in a totally kool way of course. :)

Great idea now of the detail level in the new tooling, the front and rear ends both look excellent.

Makes my decision to steer away from 1/25 a little harder to stick to.... :unsure: I just ordered one not 5 minutes ago from the seller listed above. :lol: