Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

You can account for the fisheye effect and still find those upper surfaces a bit broad. This isn't the only angle which appears that way, and the obvious excess and flatness of the wheel arch lip stands no matter what the angle and lens distortion.

Which isn't to say that there isn't a whole lot about this body shell that's much, much closer than the last two attempts - the last AAR took those same areas and made them way narrower for scale than these are wide. But as for "winners", my vote goes to Stu from page 9, who made a visual adjustment that resulted in an actual improvement.

I think the angle of the photos and the focal length may be playing a part in the look of the fender problem - maybe. The whole front of the car looks oversized - like a mild fisheye distortion. Hard to say without a good side profile shot.

I have to agree, those photos were taken in a rush under less then ideal conditions, with an inexpensive point and shoot digital camera. I know that because I took them. I only posted the ones that were in focus enough to use here. Keep that it mind before you get to crtitical. You can go to my album to see some other views starting on page 5. http://public.fotki.com/SteveG26/toledo-nnl-nationals--33/

I saw it with my own two eyes standing next to a couple of die hard mopar guys who aren't known for holding back opinions and we all agreed while isn't perfect it looked pretty darn good, certainly Revell's best E-body to date. I know I'm looking foward to getting one or more, perfect or not .....

Steve

Okay, so you can take a more straight-on profile shot like this:

2012-10-06160608.jpg

note that it's a bit elongated by the lens, and still correctly reckon that the upper surfaces look a bit disproportionate. You don't really need to take measurements to note that the top surface seems close in height to the surface directly below it, as defined by the mid-body crease and the one just above the rocker panel. Whereas in a side profile of the 1:1 -

737825_3138137211413_Original.jpg

the difference between the upper and lower expanses is a little clearer.

Though if you DID take measurements based on photographs - right at the midpoint between the fender and the front door line - you'd find that the upper surface on the model is about 80% the height of the surface just below it, where the 1:1 hovers around 70% - not a huge difference, but noticeable. Any number of factors can lead to this (is the center crease too low, is the rocker crease too high), you can point out that we won't know for sure until you take a tape to the car and the model, and you'd be right - but the two-dimensional analysis from photographs is close enough to start drawing conclusions.

Now if we were talking deviations of hundredths, the "perfect model" concept might enter the discussion. But no, we're talking tenths - subtle, but visible to the unassisted eye. And nowhere is it in dispute that even with this deviation, it still blows the carp out of any 'Cuda Revell/Monogram has done before.

Thanks for the in-depth examination of the kit , Chuck .

One thing as a reminder to all -- myself included : in 1:1 , the wheel well arches are "generously-proportioned" ; a fact which is exasperated when normal 14x6" wheels with , say , F78 tyres ( the AAR pictured above has F60-15 and G60-15 tyres on 15x8 wheels) are seen inside those fenders !

Too bad that revell didn't mould the test shot with black interior and wheels , as that stupid grey doesn't look decent on film .

Makes the roof look too-low , just like the '70 AAR from a few years ago ...

On the good side , the lines look nice , crisp and very well-defined !

• 2 months later...

I'll grab one right away to compare to my original mpc , if it passes muster, I'll order a case asap

I can assure you no metal axle rods will be included with the forthcoming Revell kit. :D

Seriously, though, I think the Revell 1/25 '70 Hemi 'Cuda will surpass the 1/25 MPC kit(s) in every way, save for maybe some minor areas on the body. :)

I can assure you no metal axle rods will be included with the forthcoming Revell kit. :D

Seriously, though, I think the Revell 1/25 '70 Hemi 'Cuda will surpass the 1/25 MPC kit(s) in every way, save for maybe some minor areas on the body. :)

I'm good with the lack of metal axles so thats a good thing .

The current AMT Duster is equal to the original MPC 71 I have and if the Cuda is at least equilivant to that,,, I'm good with it . And I REALLY am hoping for a drag car version shortly after the stock issue is released.

Edited by gtx6970

And I REALLY am hoping for a drag car version shortly after the stock issue is released.

I think that's all but guaranteed. A Sox & Martin Pro Stock kit is a "must happen" modified reissue, much like the Sox & Martin '67 GTX Super Stock kit before it.

I've got a feeling this kit will take the place of Revell's "old reliable" 1/25 '69 Camaro as the kit which spawns multiple modified reissues and stays in the lineup for 20+ years.

Well looks like I wont being getting this kit now, I am very disappointed by this and Revell, with out the metal axles, I cant roll the car around on floor going vrooom vrooom!

Yep, from the test shot I saw, this kit will make the original MPC kits look sick.

I would like to see a convertible to build Angelics red convertible cuda from the movie dark shadows. That's a gorgeous car.

A convertible variant would render the existing 1/24 Monogram '71 kit almost obsolete, but to some that'd be a good thing. Maybe the old 1/24 tooling is getting worn out, at least for the hardtop body specific inserts(?)? I think the Nash Bridges version was a recent (2000?) modification, but the original kit dates back to 1983 or so IIRC.

I can see a modified reissue convertible a few years down the road, though, and if the hardtop is spot on, it shouldn't have any trouble leaving the 1/24 '71 kits in it's wake.

I see myself building a Gran Coupe out of one of these.....Already have a resin flat hood for it.

Are you going to cast it? I want a flat hood for mine, I plan on a 6 banger for my build.

Just cut the flat hood out of the AMT 1974 barracuda snap kit.

Thats what I did to make my Sox + Martin sixpack hood for my original MPC kit

Are you going to cast it? I want a flat hood for mine, I plan on a 6 banger for my build.

I swear I heard mention of this kit being reissued later this year, so maybe an intentional coincidence in Round2's part.

To be honest, I didn't know it wasn't currently avail. I probably have 4 or 5 of them so I haven't been looking fror one either.

They are super easy to find at swap meets in the $5 to $10 range . Or worst case, buy one of the assembled 'promos' . it's the same kit just molded in red and pre-assembled.

Well, got the newest release info today, it's not slated for June :( . But the Miss Deal did get moved into a May release date, so that's something to look forward to. 67 Vette gets bumped back to June instead. Miami Vice Daytona gets moved up to April.

Here's what's being listed for June as of now - note these can change things do get bumped up, so it could end up in June.

June-

Snap Expedition Police version

1/24 Original Mini Cooper (Revell Germany)

64 Impala Foose

67 Corvette Convertible.