Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vellejo Primer peel...

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could pick your brains please, has anyone any idea why this is happening please...: -

Challenger1.jpg

I was starting to sand it down but for some reason the primer just wants to peel off, surface was fully cleaned down etc before hand...

Thank you in advance for any help...

Posted · Report post

Did you prep metal ! Maybe a primer sealer would work ?

Posted · Report post

For metal, particularly diecast (or Zamak) as the alloy is known, it really takes an etching primer to adhere completely. Check for self-etch primer wherever you buy automotive touchup paints.

Art

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the reply chaps, think I night pop to my local parts shop and get a tin of auto primer and give that a try, never had this problem with it before and I prepared it the same way, full strip down again I guess...

Thanks again...

Posted · Report post

I would also suggest you use isopropyl alcohol and clean white paper towels for your final, pre-primer cleaning. I haven't had an adhesion problem since I've started religiously using those, even on 200mph 1:1 aircraft. Just a tiny bit of oily contamination can play the devil with adhesion.

I agree absolutely with Art.....self-etching primer will help on metal. A word of caution though....it's way too hot for a lot of currently available polystyrene kit plastic.

Posted · Report post

I would also suggest you use isopropyl alcohol and clean white paper towels for your final, pre-primer cleaning. I haven't had an adhesion problem since I've started religiously using those, even on 200mph 1:1 aircraft. Just a tiny bit of oily contamination can play the devil with adhesion.

I agree absolutely with Art.....self-etching primer will help on metal. A word of caution though....it's way too hot for a lot of currently available polystyrene kit plastic.

Both true and untrue! I've used self-etch primer (Duplicolor, if my memory serves me right) on a couple of diecast models that were converted using styrene model kit body panels. Of course, I airbrushed it rather than using the rattle can.

Art

Posted · Report post

aside from the etching primer, as already mentioned, I would scuff it up a bit more before spraying primer on it again.

the isopropyl alcohol is a good idea also...or you could use white vinegar as a wipe down